Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Refreshing visuals fails sometimes in PBI Desktop; OLE DB or ODBC error session ID cannot be found

Working with a composite directquery/import mode dataset, but only started noticing this in the last couple of days.  Haven't seen any obvious drops in connectivity to internet from my computer.  Will usually resolve itself after closing and reopening the report, refreshing, or just waiting.

Full error message:  OLE DB or ODBC error: The '[guid]' session ID cannot be found. Either the session does not exist or it has already expired. 

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2021-06-02T21:03:24.3873247Z

Local Time:
2021-06-02T16:03:24.3873247-05:00

Session ID:
03d6bc65-1342-4e72-9cdc-3ab1e3048a9c

Release:
May 2021

Product Version:
2.93.981.0 (21.05) (x64)

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.19042.0 (x64 en-US)

CLR Version:
4.7 or later [Release Number = 528372]

Peak Virtual Memory:
38.3 GB

Private Memory:
659 MB

Peak Working Set:
860 MB

IE Version:

User ID:
85bea49e-cd1a-45a6-a0dc-bb586d2c56cb

Workbook Package Info:
1* - en-US, Query Groups: 0, fastCombine: Disabled, runBackgroundAnalysis: True.

Telemetry Enabled:
True

Model Default Mode:
Composite

Model Version:
PowerBI_V3

Enabled Preview Features:
PBI_JsonTableInference
PBI_NewWebTableInference
PBI_ImportTextByExample
PBI_ExcelTableInference
PBI_eimInformationProtectionForDesktop
PBI_compositeModelsOverAS
PBI_cartesianMultiplesAuthoring

Disabled Preview Features:
PBI_shapeMapVisualEnabled
PBI_SpanishLinguisticsEnabled
PBI_qnaLiveConnect
PBI_azureMapVisual
PBI_dataPointLassoSelect
PBI_dynamicParameters
PBI_enhancedTooltips

Disabled DirectQuery Options:
TreatHanaAsRelationalSource

Cloud:
GlobalCloud

DPI Scale:
125%

Supported Services:
Power BI

Comments
v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi

I have tested on my side, but not reproduce the problem.

what datasource you are using for directquery? if try to use another datasource to have a test?

and try to uninstall and install the power bi previous version desktop:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-latest-update-archive?tabs=powerbi-de...

Regards,

Lin

yneset
Regular Visitor

I am also facing this issue, and several other members in my team as well.

I am connected to 2 datasets in a composite model. These 2 datasets use direct query both of them (with 2-3 calculated tables). In the composite model I only create relationships between tables from the 2 models.

Our data source is Azure SQL Server
sunil-al
Frequent Visitor

We are intermitently facing this issue. 

It is extremely hard to replicate and only happens on PBI desktop.

Our visuals are using dimensions from the local model (which combine dimensions from our 2 direct query models) and measures that have been written in the composite model.

At times they would work perfectly and then suddenly we'll start seeing the error:OLE DB or ODBC error: The '[guid]' session ID cannot be found. Either the session does not exist or it has already expired. 

Sometimes what works is closing all powerBI instances and reopening them but that can be annoying for developers working on multiple files specially since we don't know how it happens and how many times it might happen.

v-robertq-msft
Community Support

Hi,

Have this problem be resolved now? Would you like to have a check?

If not, would you like to explain your steps to reproduce this problem in detail so that we can check again?

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

msagpbi

Hi @v-robertq-msft ,

we are facing the same issue and we couldn't find any pattern.

Just as context, we are using the beta version for modeling which allows us to connect to an already created  and published in the cloud model, and remodel it adding connections to either google sheets or sql queries. 

We not only have the problem in desktop but also in the cloud. Whenever a report is conected to this model, the users entering to the published report face the same problem. 

As I said, there's no pattern, it's totally random. You never know when it's going to happen. However, what I can assure you is that when it happens is a pain in the a**, you cannot keep on developing. Sometimes saving and closing the book works, but others it doesn't.

It would be really nice from the PBI team to check this issue, because it makes working in power bi really frustating.

Please help us all. Thanks in advance

TiemenHarms
Advocate I

Hello @Anonymous ,

Are you working in a premium capacity? I have a simmilar issue and I have find out that this is by design. 

The AS Engine can expire a session any time due to idle / load pressure on the service. Maybe you can verify this by your tenant administrators?

Best regards,

Tiemen