Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

OData.Feed IncludeAnnotations and IncludeMetadataAnnotations usage does not match documentation

IncludeAnnotation and IncludeMetadataAnnotaiton options for OData.Feed function in Power BI Desktop Version: 2.61.5192.601 64-bit (August 2018) do not match documentation.   

Documentation here:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/query-bi/m/odata-feed

states that IncludeAnnotations="" and/or IncludeMetadataAnnotations="" will result in a header with wildcard passed to the OData URL e.g.:   Prefer: odata.include-annotations="*"

This was true in the previous release of Power BI but in the current version (2.61.5192.601 64-bit (August 2018) ), setting the options to "" results in Prefer: odata.include-annotations="", which is invalid according to the OData spec.

In the current Power BI Desktop version 2.61.5192.601 64-bit (August 2018), the option must be set to IncludeAnnotations="*" and/or IncludeMetadataAnnotations="*".   This results in the header set to Prefer: odata.include-annotations="*".

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @DaveTheOx,

Based on my understanding about the document, if we set IncludeAnnotations="", it will return all annotations. If we set IncludeAnnotations="*", it will return annotations which contain character "*". 

I have tested with Power BI desktop 2.58.5103.501 64-bit (May 2018), and use Fiddler to capture traces. When we set set IncludeAnnotations="", it passes "IncludeAnnotations: " instead of  "IncludeAnnotations: *". 

Which Power Bi desktop version do you test send "IncludeAnnotations: *" when we set IncludeAnnotations=""? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

DaveTheOx
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

Please see the OData V4 spec here:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/odata/odata/v4.0/errata02/os/complete/part1-protocol/odata-v4.0-errata02-...

It states 

"The value of the odata.include-annotations preference is a comma-separated list of namespaces or namespace qualified term names to include or exclude, with "*" representing all. "

The OData.Feed documentation says to use "" for all but it results in the Prefer odata.include-annotations="" which is illegal according to the spec.   In order for me to return all annotations, I must provide "*" as an option to the OData.Feed function.

I was using the Power BI Desktop version prior to version 2.61.5192.601 64-bit (August 2018).   So I guess July 2018?   Unfortunately, I no longer have it installed and did not keep the installware.

Thanks,
Dave