Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Issues with latest release of Power BI (October 2022 Update (2.110. 341.0))

hi

I am having problems in opening my PBI desktop after the October release. 

i have created a couple of pbix. files/reports that combine various datasources and are quite complex & heavy. With the new release it is impossible to open the relevant pbix files.

I checked other simpler pbix files and i did not had any issue with them. They were opening as usual.

Can you please check what could be the issue?

thanks 

Hi @ANTOS ,

From your description, maybe it has something to do with the complexity of the report. Are you getting any errors when you open the report? Or is it simply a hanging screen and you can't open the file to see the contents of the report in it?

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

Comments
v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @ANTOS ,

From your description, maybe it has something to do with the complexity of the report. Are you getting any errors when you open the report? Or is it simply a hanging screen and you can't open the file to see the contents of the report in it?

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

ANTOS
Advocate I

@v-mengzhu-msft 

Hi Selina

I don't get any errors.

As you mentioned when I try to open the report it is just hanging without opening file.

I have tried to wait until it loads (15min+) but nothing happens.

I had to reinstall the older version (september release) to make it work again.

So there seems to be something with the October release that makes it impossible to open complex and large pbix files. The files i am trying to open get data from multiple PBI datasets, excel, sharepoint and dataverse.

Best Regards

Antonis

v-dmsyrk-msft
Employee

Hi @ANTOS ,

Wanted to ask you to download the latest October release version from the official website or Microsoft Store and try opening your files.

Regards,

Dmytro

ANTOS
Advocate I

@v-dmsyrk-msft 

yes i have downloaded the latest version from microsoft's store. it doesn't work...

AJH
Regular Visitor

Hi, I have similar issue. Some reports do not open with PowerBI Desktop October and November releases but open with earlier versions. Symptoms are the same as described by Antos: opening report just hangs presenting the startup screen. No error messages. Currently experimenting with November release and opening has been continuing for about 1 hour now. Windows task manager shows 0% CPU (for PowerBI) and 12-13% for Microsoft Analysis Services.

The same reports work still in PowerBI Pro and Premium capacity (as an app) - and with September version of Desktop.

Reports using composite model (storage mode: Mixed): 
1. direct connection to SQL Server Analysis Services database (PowerBI datamodel)
2.  import of local files
3. import using DAX query from the same SQL Server Analysis Services database having the direct connection (to create couple of needed code tables). 
4. added local columns on a table using direct connection
5. measures both in corporate model and local model
Note: depending on the report it may use 1&2 or 1&4 or 1&2&3.

Creating a new report from scratch using composite model works and so do old reports using either import or live connection to the same SQL Server Analysis Services database.