Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'The base version must not be negative..

Hello,

I try to copy and connect a table in PBI model/to download a table from MySQL/to edit queries, and I get this error: Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'The base version must not be negative when impact is requested for a transaction.

What I already did: re-installed PBI again, re-installed Gateaway (just in case), restarted GitBash, tried to load the table differently. Nothing helps. Please, help me with this issues. Thank you in advance.

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same error:

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'The base version must not be negative when impact is requested for a transaction.
'.

I'm trying to use a table in excel file, I notice that it fails on Identifyng relatioship step, then if I got Relationship in the left panel and try to stablishi the relationship manually it dispear, tyied with every convination and options but nothing works.

😞

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Does the issue happen when you get data from MySQL without any transformation in Query Editor? 

Which action do you do in Power BI then the error occurs? Please share detail steps for us to test it. 

Please update your Power BI desktop version to the latest 2.63.3272.40461. Ensure the bit version between the Power BI desktop and MySQL matches. 

@Anonymous As you mention the issue occurs when you "Identifyng relatioship" in Power BI desktop, please clarify the detail steps with this so we can try to test it. 

Also please keep running the latest desktop version as mentioned above. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello:

Q: Does the issue happen when you get data from MySQL without any transformation in Query Editor?

A: No, I'm using excel as soruce of information, in the excel I have tables and those tables are what I'm using to load the information in to PowerBI Desktop

Q: Which action do you do in Power BI then the error occurs? Please share detail steps for us to test it.

A: Click on Get Data, select Excel, choose the Table and then click on Load, PowerBI starts loading and then the window with the message: Something went wrong: Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'The base version must not be negative when impact is requested for a transaction.'.

Here is the complete error message

CommitTransaction

{"changes":[],"hasQueryImpact":false}

at System.Environment.GetStackTrace(Exception e, Boolean needFileInfo)
   at System.Environment.get_StackTrace()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.AsyncModelAuthoringService.RunExtendedModelChangeAsync(Action`1 extendedModelChange, CancellationToken cancellationToken, Boolean blockUI)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.PowerQueryToModelLoader.RunExtendedModelChangeAsync(Action`1 action)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.PowerQueryToModelLoader.PerformLoadInternal(Action relationshipAutodetectStartCallback, ModelChange modelChangeToExecuteBeforeSchemaSync, Boolean skipImpactAnalysisWarning)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.PowerQueryToModelLoader.<>c__DisplayClass2.<PerformLoadAsync>b__0()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteWithThreadLocal(Task& currentTaskSlot)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteEntry(Boolean bPreventDoubleExecution)
   at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'The base version must not be negative when impact is requested for a transaction.
'.

The screenshot taken by PowerBI show the step: Detecting relationships...

Fomulas:

section Section1;

shared #"01 GDPR" = let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\hrodrigu\OneDrive - Apple Leisure Group\01. GDPR\99. Dashboards\03. GDPR MX\ALG GDPR All Up Tracking ONGOING.xlsx"), null, true),
    Table1_Table = Source{[Item="Table1",Kind="Table"]}[Data],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Table1_Table,{{"BU", type text}, {"Task #", type any}, {"Tasks", type text}, {"Priority", type text}, {"Priority #", type any}, {"Report Section #", type any}, {"Compliance Contact", type text}, {"Legal Contact", type text}, {"Primary Contact", type text}, {"Task Resources", type text}, {"Plan Start Date", type date}, {"Plan End Date", type any}, {"Effort (hrs)", type any}, {"Date in Production", type date}, {"Status", type text}, {"Progress", type number}, {"Notes", type any}, {"Work Status Notes", type text}, {"7/23/2018", type text}, {"8/6/2018", type text}, {"8/13/2018", type text}, {"9/3/2018", type text}, {"9/17/2018", type any}, {"ProgressWeek40", type number}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type",{{"Progress", "Current Week"}, {"ProgressWeek40", "Previous Week"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns";

shared #"02 PCI DSS" = let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\hrodrigu\OneDrive - Apple Leisure Group\01. GDPR\99. Dashboards\02. PCI\ALG PCI Compliance Program Supervision 2018 Oct03verligth.xlsx"), null, true),
    Table2_Table = Source{[Item="Table2",Kind="Table"]}[Data],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Table2_Table,{{"COMPANY", type text}, {"ID", type text}, {"ACTIVITY", type text}, {"% PROGRESS", type number}, {"STATUS", type text}, {"DUE DATE", type any}, {"OWNER", type text}, {"DEPENDENCIES", type text}, {"COMMENTS", type text}, {"EPIC", type text}, {"OUTPUT", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type";

shared Octubre20181003 = let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\hrodrigu\OneDrive - Apple Leisure Group\01. GDPR\99. Dashboards\01. DLP\DLP O365 CC Sep 26 - Oct 03 2018.xlsx"), null, true),
    Octubre20181003_Table = Source{[Item="Octubre20181003",Kind="Table"]}[Data],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Octubre20181003_Table,{{"Date", type datetime}, {"Action", type text}, {"FileName", type any}, {"Sender Address", type text}, {"Recipient Address", type text}, {"SensitiveInformationCount", Int64.Type}, {"Sender Domain", type text}, {"Recipient Domain", type text}, {"BU Sender", type text}, {"BU  Recipient", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type";

shared #"Errors in 01 GDPR" = let
    Source = error "Unable to get errors for '01 GDPR'. Please refresh the query and try again."
in
    Source;

shared MonthlyProgress = let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\hrodrigu\OneDrive - Apple Leisure Group\01. GDPR\99. Dashboards\03. GDPR MX\ALG GDPR All Up Tracking ONGOING.xlsx"), null, true),
    MonthlyProgress_Table = Source{[Item="MonthlyProgress",Kind="Table"]}[Data],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(MonthlyProgress_Table,{{"BU", type text}, {"Sep", type number}, {"Oct", type number}})
in
    #"Changed Type";

shared ProgressOvertime2 = let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\hrodrigu\OneDrive - Apple Leisure Group\01. GDPR\99. Dashboards\02. PCI\ALG PCI Compliance Program Supervision 2018 Oct03verligth.xlsx"), null, true),
    ProgressOvertime2_Table = Source{[Item="ProgressOvertime2",Kind="Table"]}[Data],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(ProgressOvertime2_Table,{{"COMPANY", type text}, {"JANUARY", type number}, {"FEBRUARY", type number}, {"MARCH", type number}, {"APRIL", type number}, {"MAY", type number}, {"JUNE", type number}, {"JULY", Int64.Type}, {"AUGUST", Int64.Type}, {"SEPTEMBER", type number}, {"OCTOBER", Int64.Type}, {"NOVEMBER", type any}, {"DECEMBER", type any}})
in
    #"Changed Type";

shared MonthlyProgressDLP = let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\hrodrigu\OneDrive - Apple Leisure Group\01. GDPR\99. Dashboards\01. DLP\DLP O365 CC Sep 26 - Oct 03 2018.xlsx"), null, true),
    MonthlyProgressDLP_Table = Source{[Item="MonthlyProgressDLP",Kind="Table"]}[Data],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(MonthlyProgressDLP_Table,{{"BU", type text}, {"AUGUST", Int64.Type}, {"SEPTEMBER", Int64.Type}, {"OCTOBER", Int64.Type}, {"Percentaje", Percentage.Type}, {"PorcentajeIncremento", Percentage.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type";

shared SummarizePCI = let
    SummarizePCI_Table = Source{[Item="SummarizePCI",Kind="Table"]}[Data],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(SummarizePCI_Table,{{"COMPANY", type text}, {"JAN-SEP", type number}, {"OCTOBER", type number}})
in
    #"Changed Type";

shared DLPWeeklyReport = let
    DLPWeeklyReport_Table = Source{[Item="DLPWeeklyReport",Kind="Table"]}[Data],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(DLPWeeklyReport_Table,{{"BU", type text}, {"week 34", Int64.Type}, {"week 35", Int64.Type}, {"week 36", Int64.Type}, {"week 37", Int64.Type}, {"week 38", Int64.Type}, {"week 39", Int64.Type}, {"week 40", Int64.Type}, {"week 41", Int64.Type}, {"week 42", Int64.Type}, {"week 43", Int64.Type}, {"Diff", Int64.Type}, {"AVG", type number}, {"Percentaje", type number}, {"Percenaje2", type number}})
in
    #"Changed Type";

I'm running the version: Version: 2.63.3272.40262 64-bit (October 2018) I will update the one you indicate and tested again.

Kind Regards!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, I have updated to version: Version: 2.63.3272.40461 64-bit (October 2018)

the issue still persist

Kind regards!

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

From detail error message, it looks like you are importing many tables from local OneDrive folder, please open a blank new report, import only one table from local OneDrive folder to see if the same issue occurs. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-qiuyu-msft Hello,

Does the issue happen when you get data from MySQL without any transformation in Query Editor? - yes

Which action do you do in Power BI then the error occurs? Please share detail steps for us to test it. - I click 'refresh data'

I have the latest version

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, the way I sort it out was to re-creating all report from scratch.

is there a limit about how many table can be imported!

kind regards!

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

@Anonymous Please collect desktop trace log and upload it to your OneDrive or Dropbox, send the share link to me via private message. 

@Anonymous AFAIK, there is no limitation about numbers of imported tables in Power BI desktop. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-qiuyu-msft Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. I had some problems with loggin-in Power BI Community. Currently I cannot reproduce the issue. Once I face it again, I will let you know. Thank you for your help anyway.

Kind regards,

Taisiya

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the same situation and same error message

"Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'The base version must not be negative when impact is requested for a transaction."

I had completed a BI file and was working fine but wanted to start from scratch to clean it up.  My original (3 months old) excel file has several tabs which are imported into BI.  When creating a new BI file with current excel file, all the tabs import okay from current monthly sheet except for one which has changed the least over the last few months.

I compared the two tabs in the files current and original and both are the same except for two rows of data.

What is odd is this !!

The original BI file still updates okay with the original file EVEN AFTER adding the 2 extra lines to the original excel file.

HOWEVER, if I delete that query file (tab from excel) in BI and try to reload the tab into Query Editor and BI file again, from the original file, it too gives me the same error.

Only the update or refresh works without an error.

I did notice that the Query Editor in BI did not automatically use the first row as headers when the error occurred.  It does it correctly with all the other tabs.  I then tell Query Editor to use first row as header.  Even if I use a table for the tab, the same results.

I am going to try and put the tab info in a separate file and see what happens.

Thanks for any help you can provide.