Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

DAX Query View - Default German query name is invalid, which prevents entire pbix from getting saved

Hi there,

today I stumbled upon something interesting that cannot be a desired behaviour.

If the application language of Power BI Desktop is English, then the default name for the first query in the new DAX Query View is 'Query 1'. So far so good. But in my case - I am working with the German version of PBI Desktop. In this case the default name of the initial query view is 'Abfrage "1"'. Note the quotation marks. 

This is actually quite some problem, because it leads to the unexpected behaviour that I am unable to save the entire pbix file the moment I start to use the new DAX Query View and execute a query with this default name. First I was confused, why I could not save my file anymore. Every time I tried to save it, I got an error thrown which states ""C:\...\..." ist kein gültiger Dateipfad." which means the target path is not a valid file path. 

So I looked up the error details and found the topmost entry of the stack trace, which was the following:
"bei Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.PowerBIFileSerializer.ValidateDaxQueryFileName(String fileName)"
The corresponding stack trace message was: "The file name 'Abfrage "1".dax' contains invalid characters."

It appears that the default query name - which is not user generated but comes from the product itself - is an invalid query name. The quotation marks are crucial. I removed those in my Query view and suddenly I was able to save my file again.

I hope you guys get rid of those quotation marks as soon as possible, because this is a serious issue. The user suddenly becomes unable of saving the entire pbix file just by using the new DAX Query View. And the critical part is, that at first sight you have no clue what is causing this problem. Only after a deep dive in the error logs advanced users may identify the problem.

Maybe there are even more languages affected, I have not tested it for others than English and German.

Best regards and happy holidays

Tim

Hi  @timalbers 

Please correct me if I wrongly understood your issue .

You created a query(The German translation is Abfrage) in PQ , then the default name is 'Abfrage "1"' . In this case, you saved the report and encountered the reported error, and then realized that it was 'Abfrage "1"' that was causing the problem, right? And what version of Desktop are you using for testing? Have you used the December version for testing?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi  @timalbers 

Please correct me if I wrongly understood your issue .

You created a query(The German translation is Abfrage) in PQ , then the default name is 'Abfrage "1"' . In this case, you saved the report and encountered the reported error, and then realized that it was 'Abfrage "1"' that was causing the problem, right? And what version of Desktop are you using for testing? Have you used the December version for testing?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

timalbers
Advocate V

Hi @v-yetao1-msft 

thank you very much for your answer.

This has nothing to do with PQ nor the PQ Editor. I am talking about the new fourth view in Power BI Desktop, where you can test DAX Queries via an EVALUATE statement. If you do so, the very first query page gets this default name, which is causing the saving issues.

Yes, I am using the December version (2.124.1052.0 64-bit).

Thanks and best regards

Tim

timalbers_0-1703147003061.pngtimalbers_1-1703147121453.pngtimalbers_2-1703147319515.png

alex4710
Regular Visitor

I have the same issue.

PetterR
Frequent Visitor

Thank you @timalbers , was facing the same issue: using German version of Power BI Desktopclient and since availability of Dax Query Viewer faced the issue, that as soon as a new sheet in Query Viewer was created (which happens as soon as you click on the icon for query viewer), the entire pbix couldn't be saved anymore due to "invalid path". Changing the name of the query viewer sheet from  Abfrage "1" to anything else without quotation marks did the trick!

PS.: Version: 2.126.927.0 64-bit (Februar 2024)