Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Continued refresh errors dropping credentials with Azure SQL data sources

I'm starting a new post because I can't find any existing posts that have quite the same problem, but it is very similar to the problems we've been seeing here since November.

Power bi service, mostly newer pbix files, using Azure SQL sources, so no gateway. Credentials (basic, not OAuth2) will stick for a refresh or two then drop. I've had to reenter them almost daily, for a few weeks now. Once reentered on one file, the other files in the same group will also work, until the creds are dropped again. And for some reason, the error message suggests I'm using OAuth2 creds, but these files have never had an OAuth2 source, And there are no files in the group using OAuth2 either.

There is no problem refreshing the desktop files. 

Thanks,

VincentdbCredsError1-3-2017.JPG

Comments
berta2b
Helper I

Hey vpray, I think we have the same issue!

Please see my issue created about 2 hours ago under 'berta2b' where I'm having problems refreshing my datasets created from PBI Desktop files.

Thanks.

vpray
Helper II

Hello @berta2b, I read your post and I'm thinking our issues are different. My files are dropping credentials to Azure SQL datasources daily, and will only refresh once or twice when I reenter the creds. I don't use content packs so that's another different element. I wouldn't be surprised if the cause of our ills are related though. Hopefully MS will get the recent refresh / credential issues resolved quickly! I too am having to manually enter creds and refresh daily on several deployed customer products.

Thanks,

berta2b
Helper I

Hey vpray again, I agreee that our issues are different but the underlying problem is the dropping of credentials to Azure SQL databases. We too are connecting to an Azure DW in the Cloud and on 1 Jan refreshing worked ok but then on 2nd Jan it dropped, 3rd worked okay and this morning dropped!

I use content packs to distribute but this shouldn't make any difference really as it's a 'Data Source Credentials' issue where we are both experiencing. Lets hope MS get this resolved quickly.

Thanks for your response.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

@vpray @berta2b Product Team is already realized this issue and will update back in the forum once it got fixed.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

vpray
Helper II

This issue (and many related on this forum I suspect) is still happening every day. Manual refresh of deployed customer products is not a workable solution long term! This type of issue has been going on since November 2016. Please continue to prioritize this problem of Azure source credentials being dropped.

thanks!

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted