Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Composite Model Error 400

I am attempting to create a composite model using 2 Power BI Datasets. I am following the directions on the Power BI documentation about connecting to the Dataset with a Live connection, then pressing "Make Changes to this Model" to change the connection to Direct Query. When I try to do that, I receive an error pop-up with "Error 400 bad request". What am I doing wrong?

I have enabled the preview feature of DQ/Composite Models for Power BI datasets. Here is the full error message i get:

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2022-04-05T23:34:48.4132145Z

Local Time:
2022-04-05T19:34:48.4132145-04:00

Session ID:
b904b147-a3ac-4cca-84b9-808b23bc1382

Release:
March 2022

Product Version:
2.103.881.0 (22.03) (x64)

Stack Trace:
Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnectionException
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.ASAzureUtility.ThrowConnectionException(WebException ex, AsInstanceType asInstanceType)
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.HttpStream.GetResponseStream()
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.HttpStream.GetResponseDataType()
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.CompressedStream.GetResponseDataType()
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.XmlaClient.EndRequest(Boolean useBinaryXml)
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.XmlaClient.CreateSession(ListDictionary properties, Boolean sendNamespaceCompatibility, String sessionToken)
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.XmlaClientProvider.Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.IXmlaClientProviderEx.CreateSession(Boolean sendNamespaceCompatibility)
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.ConnectToXMLA(Boolean createSession, Boolean isHTTP)
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.Open()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.LiveConnectHelpers.AnalysisServices.AdomdQueryExecutor.OpenConnectionAndExecute[T](IAdomdConnectionPool connectionPool, IAdomdConnectionFactory connectionFactory, String connectionString, QueryExecutionOptions executionOptions, IPowerBITelemetryService telemetry, Func`2 execute)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.LiveConnectHelpers.AnalysisServices.ASLiveExternalService.ExecuteCommand[T](String name, Func`2 execute)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.LiveConnectHelpers.PowerBIService.PowerBIServiceLiveConnectionProperties.GetDatabasesAndCubes()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.LiveConnectHelpers.ProxyModelConnectionCompleter.CompleteConnectionPropertiesIfNecessary(ILiveConnectionProperties connectionProperties, IPowerBIWindowService windowService)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.LiveConnectToLocalDatabaseConverter.ShowNavigatorAndUpdateSelection(Report report, Query query, ILiveConnectionProperties liveConnectionProperties, IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, IMinervaModalDialogManager minervaModalDialogManager, IPowerBIWindowService windowService, Func`1 applyChanges, ModelObject[] modelObjects)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.LiveConnectToLocalDatabaseConverter.<Convert>d__8.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Commands.ApplicationCommands.DataImportCommands.<TryConvertLiveConnectToProxyModel>d__56.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<HandleAwaitableAsyncExceptions>d__1.MoveNext()

PowerBINonFatalError:
{"AppName":"PBIDesktop","AppVersion":"2.103.881.0","ModuleName":"Microsoft.PowerBI.AdomdClient.dll","Component":"Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.ASAzureUtility","Error":"Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnectionException","MethodDef":"ThrowConnectionException","ErrorOffset":"430"}

InnerException0.Stack Trace:
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.HttpRequestResponseExtensions.GetResponseWithErrorHandling(HttpWebRequest httpWebRequest, Boolean isPbiPremium)
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.HttpStream.WaitForAndUpdateHttpResponseContainingXmlaPayload()
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.HttpStream.GetResponseStream()

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.19043.0 (x64 en-US)

CLR Version:
4.7 or later [Release Number = 528372]

Peak Virtual Memory:
102 GB

Private Memory:
484 MB

Peak Working Set:
725 MB

IE Version:

User ID:
18b069b0-0528-4477-93e2-02b4af38728d

Workbook Package Info:
1* - en-US, Query Groups: 0, fastCombine: Disabled, runBackgroundAnalysis: True.

Telemetry Enabled:
True

AS Live Connection:
True

Enabled Preview Features:
PBI_compositeModelsOverAS
PBI_mobileAuthoringFormattingUI
PBI_useModernFormatPane
PBI_sparklines
PBI_scorecardVisual

Disabled Preview Features:
PBI_shapeMapVisualEnabled
PBI_SpanishLinguisticsEnabled
PBI_qnaLiveConnect
PBI_azureMapVisual
PBI_dataPointLassoSelect
PBI_dynamicParameters
PBI_enhancedTooltips
PBI_lineChartError

Disabled DirectQuery Options:
TreatHanaAsRelationalSource

Cloud:
GlobalCloud

DPI Scale:
150%

Supported Services:
Power BI

Have you enabled this preview feature of Power BI infrastructure in Options?

vyingjl_0-1649380180694.png

You can try to enable/disable this feature to check this issue again. Usually, 400 error code represents the client error, not the server error.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

Comments
v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Have you enabled this preview feature of Power BI infrastructure in Options?

vyingjl_0-1649380180694.png

You can try to enable/disable this feature to check this issue again. Usually, 400 error code represents the client error, not the server error.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

zjesberger
Regular Visitor

I resolved this issue by enabling the XMLA endpoint feature in Power BI - I missed that par tof the documentation. Thanks!