cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An error occurred while loading the model for the item or data source 'QueryUserError'

Hi All,

 

I'm currently facing an issue with existing Power BI reports for desktop and PBIRS using live connections to a SSAS data source where I get error "An error occurred while loading the model for the item or data source 'QueryUserError'".

 

The problem appeared after I made some changes to filters and roles via visual studio. I have tried removing the filters without any luck.

 

I have since upgraded to PBIRS August 2018 with no change. The SSAS dataset works fine as do filters when I open it in excel.

 

When I open in Power BI Desktop (Aug 2018) it just hangs on the error i mentioned above until i kill the process from task manager. None of my reports using this data model work right now either desktop or PBIRS.

 

You can download the error log here.

 

Status: New
Comments
Moderator

Hi @dimitrishuk,

 

It looks like the issue happens after you modify your model. Please open Power BI desktop for report server, then connect to this SSAS model to see if you are able to retrieve data now. 

 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Regular Visitor

@v-qiuyu-msft Thanks for the response. It did indeed happen after I modified the model. When i tried opening it on Power BI Desktop, from my PC, the application crashed on the error log and I wasn't able to do anything.

 

Instead I installed it on the same VM that report server is running on, and opened and saved it there and that seemed to fix everything. It seems like some kind of bug in Power BI desktop and Report Server, as the tabular model worked fine opened in excel.

 

I'm guessing that changing filters and security roles caused the issue and powerbi wasn't able to refresh the change without the open/save step on the server end. Anyhow, case closed now!