Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

on-premises data gateway's service account failed to impersonate the user

Gateways are running, on, and all test connection work but reports cannot be updated since on-premises data gateway's service account failed to impersonate the user

Comments
dshirley

same issue for us. workaround was to create a new gateway, but not ideal.

DanL
Regular Visitor

Kerberos authentication is failing somewhere along the chain. A new gateway didn't work long for us, but disabling the option in the gateway advanced settings to "Use SSO via Kerberos for DirectQuery queries" combined with using Basic authentication is our latest workaround.

Changing this setting will limit you to the security assigned to the single account, so caution to those that have implemented better granularity.

amerriwether
Frequent Visitor

Same issue here on 2/24/2020 when upgrading to the latest On-premise - Enterprise Gateway.

Anonymous
Not applicable

same issue here, it's been a week now

The on-premises data gateway's service account failed to impersonate the user(2/25/2020) 

MrIsacson
Regular Visitor

To get the Gateway up and running again I did the following

1. Changed the account running the Gateway from the default service account to a domain user. If I remember correctly, this process will let you to, either repair or register a new Gateway. I registered a new Gateway with a new name.

2. Ran a test of rthe Gateway successfully.

3. Setup the same data sources for the new Gateway, both SQL sources and file sources. 

4. Changed the published reports to use the new gateway and with the new datasources

5. Republished the reports from Power BI desktop

6. In same cases I had to re-share reports to specific persons in the organisation, to get them to use the report again. For reports published in Teams channels, no more action needed.

MrIsacson

_chriZa_
Regular Visitor

If you dont't need it, just disable: Use SSO via Kerberos for DirectQuery queries:

PowerBI_SSO.JPG

After unticking the SSO option my datasets are refreshing successfully again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@_chriZa_  @MrIsacson  Thanks people, it's now working fine😊🤗🤗

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same issue going on with my data sets.  The reports stopped syncing from few days..

error:
Something went wrong
The on-premises data gateway's service account failed to impersonate the user.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

Time: 2020-02-27 16:33:30Z

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DanL @_chriZa_   Thanks, it's working again after disabling Use SSO via Kerberos for DirectQuery queries.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Anonymous    . However, the option of  "Use SSO via Kerberos for DirectQuery queries" doesn't exist under "Advanced options" in case of Analysis services datasourceType.

I have other SQL server databases configured as data sources which is working fine after disabling this option but not working for Analysis Services.