Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bypassing MFA in PowerBI

I seem to have found a bug in PowerBI online. I am abe to bypass MFA for the service account, by logging in with my own account.

Steps I follow:

1.Go to www.powerbi.com in Google Chrome

jbazelans_0-1667392625370.png

The I choose the second account, which acts as a service-account and in the next screen I fill out the password

Then I get this screen:

jbazelans_1-1667392722873.png

Clicking on Volgende (Next) give me this:

jbazelans_2-1667392784201.png

But I cannot create this code because it's not in my authenticator app. So I click on Annuleren (Cancel). this brings me back to the screen where I can choose an account to log in:

jbazelans_0-1667392625370.png

Now I choose my own account and enter my password in the next screen. Then I get the MFA screen for logging in with my own account

jbazelans_3-1667392996208.png

I use my phone for the authentication and I get this screen:

jbazelans_4-1667393070908.png

after clicking on Gered (OK) I get on the powerbi site, but logged in with the service account.

It looks like everybody with a PowerBI account on our tenant can log in with the service account when they get hold of the password. Seems to me that is not how it should be

Hi @jbazelans 

Please correct me if I wrongly understood your question .

You sign in with service account and then return to the previous pane , then you sign in with your account and use your phone for the authentication . You ended up logging into Power BI Service under the service account ? What is the service account you mentioned ?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @jbazelans 

Please correct me if I wrongly understood your question .

You sign in with service account and then return to the previous pane , then you sign in with your account and use your phone for the authentication . You ended up logging into Power BI Service under the service account ? What is the service account you mentioned ?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

jbazelans

The service account is the account in the screenshots that start with SA_AZ. This an account in the onmicrosoft.com domain. My personal account is an account in our own domain