Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

'Test as Role' not working with pagainted report published

This is new and probably a bug that hopefully gets fixed soon but when I publish a paginated report, connected to a power bi dataset, the 'Test as Role' functionality (for RLS) doesn't work. 

I get this error. Needless to say, I am the owner of the dataset and the reports.

MURTAZA_0-1695047487878.png

When I deleted the paginated report, everything seemed to be working as expected. Even our existing reports are acting similarly all of a sudden. Is anyone experiencing this? 

Hi @MURTAZA ,

For the time being there is no feedback from other users experiencing similar issues to you, I did a simple test but it didn't reproduce your situation.
Is this problem occurring in a specific report or workspace? Can other users in your organization also reproduce this issue?

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @MURTAZA ,

For the time being there is no feedback from other users experiencing similar issues to you, I did a simple test but it didn't reproduce your situation.
Is this problem occurring in a specific report or workspace? Can other users in your organization also reproduce this issue?

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

HayesChow

I can get the the test as role functionality to work in two other workspaces, one with a paginated report and one without. It also works for me on another dataset in the same workspace as the one mentioned above. 

Other things to try:

• Add same paginated report to the working dataset in the same workspace.
  • Add a new paginated report to the working dataset in the same workspace.
  • Remove all users from rls role. Then add one back to test.
  • Remove role entirely from dataset in question. And then add it back again.

Cheers,

Hayes

MURTAZA
Resolver I

@v-xiaoyan-msft 
So I did some more tests and discovered that this only happens to the dataset containing incremental refresh set up. Does this help?

DirkS
Frequent Visitor

Hi everyone,

I have the same problem for one of my reports. I am admin and it used to work for me for several years. Now it doesn't for several weeks...

I do not use incremental refresh. So that seems not the problem. Also: publishing the report with another name works but I don't want to do that because a lot of users have a link on the original report.

Seems to be an issue in the PowerBi service.

Btw here is another case: https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Issues/Test-as-Role-not-working-properly/idc-p/3461340

Best regards

Dirk

MURTAZA
Resolver I

I tried the steps Dirk mentioned. 

Renamed my dataset,

published to shared workspace

Linked to this dataset and published paginated report

the 'Test as Role' feature does not work. 

If I delete the paginated report, 'Test as Role' works fine. 

So renaming and republishing didn't work for me, unfortunately.