Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Snowflake DirectQuery query folding failing since "Version: 2.126.927.0 64-bit (February 2024)"

Following update to "Version: 2.126.927.0 64-bit (February 2024)" we're seeing reports with direct query connections to Snowflake tables / views triggering "We couldn't fold the expression to the datasource" errors where they used to work fine last week.

We've not managed to isolate the precise feature that's causing the problem but here are some of the things that the report uses:

1. query parameters to perform simple filters on table contents in M code
  2. DAX measures calculating networking days on a milestone table
  3. A bar chart visual which combines task lengths with analytics constant lines using the DAX measures from 2 above
  4. A "is not empty" filter on one table that propogates to a few other tables

We've not manage to reproduce the issue in a standalone PBIX file (to share for debug).

We've not been able to find an installer for the previous version to allow us to continue maintaining this report whilst we resolve this issue (see here: https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/What-was-last-week-s-PBI-Desktop-update-about/m-p/...).

We've not managed to find release notes for what this update was intending to do (to figure out if the issue is on our side).

We're effectively blocked by a bad upgrade as far as we can see.

Any ideas how to progress this one?

Hi  @ali_b 

No one else has yet responded with the same problem. So it's not possible to tell if it's a generalized problem caused by a version update. You can download the previous version in the link below . 

Previous monthly updates to Power BI Desktop and the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If going back to an older version solves the problem, then something changed in the new version that may have caused the problem.

Here is the new features about Power BI February 2024 update .

Power BI February 2024 Feature Summary | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi  @ali_b 

No one else has yet responded with the same problem. So it's not possible to tell if it's a generalized problem caused by a version update. You can download the previous version in the link below . 

Previous monthly updates to Power BI Desktop and the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If going back to an older version solves the problem, then something changed in the new version that may have caused the problem.

Here is the new features about Power BI February 2024 update .

Power BI February 2024 Feature Summary | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

ali_b
Advocate I

Thanks Ailsa,

I've managed to find links for the previous version (I have no idea if something changed on the page or if I wasn't looking properly yesterday and the day before) on this page: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-latest-update-archive?tabs=powerbi-d...

I have installed the previous Version: "2.124.2028.0 64-bit (December 2023)" which I can confirm works, so something definitely has changed on the latest version, maybe encapsulated in the "data connectivity" or "directquery connections update" line items?

Can you guide me on how I can proceed? Sharing PBIX file is a little complicated and I'm not getting an option to dump logs (as far as I can tell).

dheer1610
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-yetao1-msft 

We are also facing the same issue after updating to latest version. 

ali_b
Advocate I

Hi @v-yetao1-msft  - any news on this issue?