Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerAutomate Export to File for Power BI Report Wont Work with RLS Direct Query into PowerBIDataset

I am trying to use the 'Export to File for Power BI Report' in Power Automate and getting the error 'Couldn't load the data for this Visual' Errors for visuals that contain data from a live DQ connection from another PowerBI semantic model that contains Row Level Security. 

AlexNachreiner_3-1711379979953.png

The below picture shows the error for the DQ connection into a Semantic Model, in which the underlying semantic model has RLS while the Dataset using 'Enter Data' is being populated. 

AlexNachreiner_2-1711379887494.png

If I were to remove the Row Level Security from the underlying model the Power Automate workflow succeeds without error. I am an Admin in the Premium Workspace where both Datasets live and additionally have added myself to the RLS group. 

Hi @AlexNachreiner ,

In your case, it seems that the RLS settings in the underlying semantic model might be causing the issue. When RLS is applied, Power BI sends authenticated Azure AD credentials in the queries to the underlying data source. This enables Power BI to respect the security settings that are configured at the data source level3.

If you remove the RLS from the underlying model, the Power Automate workflow succeeds without error because it no longer has to deal with the additional security layer imposed by RLS.

As a workaround, you might consider adjusting the RLS settings or the configuration of the connection. 

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @AlexNachreiner ,

In your case, it seems that the RLS settings in the underlying semantic model might be causing the issue. When RLS is applied, Power BI sends authenticated Azure AD credentials in the queries to the underlying data source. This enables Power BI to respect the security settings that are configured at the data source level3.

If you remove the RLS from the underlying model, the Power Automate workflow succeeds without error because it no longer has to deal with the additional security layer imposed by RLS.

As a workaround, you might consider adjusting the RLS settings or the configuration of the connection. 

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

AlexNachreiner
Regular Visitor

Another work around is to use Dynamic Subscriptions. Then have to set up another Power Auomate flow to save the emails where I need them to be.  Odd that it works for those pdfs/images but not PowerAutomate