Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Template not saving all properties

I have noticed today (June 2023 version) that some measures, relationships and sort by columns are not being saved to the PBIT file.  I have tried several times and ased a colleague to do the same and we get the same results.

Hi @all,

We have seen on the internal platform that other engineers have reported this issue and submitted it.
The engineers on the product team are now aware and will do their best to resolve the issue.

This issue has been addressed and will be available in the next release of Desktop. No clearly ETA for now.

I will update here if there is any progress, so please be patient.

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

Comments
PeruvianUser
Regular Visitor

Same issue, need help pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @Ian_Altis ,

We need more information to investigate this issue. Did it occur without any error reporting messages?
Are you referring to the fact that you were able to save the file normally but found the content missing after opening it?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Ian_Altis
Advocate III

Hi,

Yes the pbit file is created without error (whether Save As or Export)

When opening the file all the measures were lost, sort columns and some relationships were dropped as well.

Regards,

Ian

Ian_Altis
Advocate III

Thanks @riccardoceruti .  I have installed from the Store so it automatically updates.  was that the same for you?

RIC4023
Regular Visitor

Yes, I have uninstalled and reinstalled from the store.

Ian_Altis
Advocate III

That did not work for me unforunately @riccardoceruti 

All my measures were still dropped as were Soret columns and some relationships.

@v-xiaoyan-msft any updates on this issue?

pmerkle_nt

We see the same problem here. After saving / exporting as pbit in Power BI 2023.06, all measures and calculated columns are missing when the template is opened.

The problem appears to be on the write side, as Power BI 2023.06 can properly open pbit files exported with Power BI 2023.05. We came to this conclusion by examining older revisions of the affected pbit file. Each pbit revision was extracted as a zip archive and we took the version information from the CreatedFromRelease fields in the Metadata file. Files with "CreatedFromRelease": "2023.05" do not show any issues when opened in Power BI 2023.06.

Update: Reinstalling Power BI via Microsoft Store did not help.

Ian_Altis
Advocate III

Thanks for the clarification and further testing

RIC4023
Regular Visitor

@Ian_Altis I correct my previous comment: uninstalling and re-installing the new version doesn't work (it worked for a while but then broke again).

I also tried to validate @pmerkle_nt thesis but we encounter the same problem.

Test details:

1. we have a dataset published on Power BI service.
  2. we create a report with Power BI desktop in live connection on that dataset creating a new measure in addition to those in the dataset.
  3. we save the report as .pbit locally.
  4. we open the report and the measure created in the second step is not shown, while the other measures in the published model are shown.

We ran this test with the following versions of desktop pbi:

• june version 2,118,621
  • june version 2.118.665
  • may version 2,117,984

Please note:

- we tried reinstalling the versions several times

- we tried republishing the model on pbi service using the different versions above

Warning:

The test described above is NOT systematic since by repeating the tests numerous times we did not always get the same result: Sometimes the measurement is loaded correctly while other times it is not.

We tried creating a report from scratch in IMPORT mode and the problem does not occur with any version of Power BI desktop (no publishing in powerbi service was done).

We have opened a support ticket.

haythb

Same PBIT file issue occured in June 2023 version: all measures are missing after dataload

Version: 2.118.621.0 

Basically my pbix report is refreshing successfully. When I create template file from it and load the data, none of the measures are available anymore. I've checked the pbit file in Tabular Editor and every object is in place. It means the export process is fine, the issue coming from query side.

Created some dummy objects in my existing report, opened in Tabular Editor:

haythb_2-1687426338415.png

The same pbit in PBI Desktop after dataload:

haythb_3-1687426677559.png

I can confirm that creating a report from scratch (in June 2023 version) the problem does not occur.

Thanks,

Balazs