Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

OLE DB or ODBC error: A loop was found in the chain of Analysis Services data sources.

We have a premium subscription and we're on gen 2. We have a data set that is composed of direct query tables (hubs) as well as dual (spokes) tables. This has been published to a new advanced workspace and has resided there for over a year. This dataset has been shared out to 70+ members of our analyst community and just recently started randomly throwing the following error message.

TSHECKEL_0-1650288062842.png

This is received by all reports, desktop and published, that are sourced from this master "DirectQuery for PBI datasets and AS" dataset. 

I have a feeling this may have been caused by the recent upgrade to the service that allows permissions at the master shared dataset to be set to read vs read, build for an individual. 

We can temporarily fix this by republishing the dataset. However, it will sporadically reappear, at least once a day, and break all of the related reports that stem from it.  

• Service version13.0.18082.40

Have you enabled this feature in Power BI Desktop when facing with this issue?

vyingjl_0-1650330921853.png

In addition, you can try to check whether you have met any limitations of this feature, see:

Using DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services (preview) 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

Comments
v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Have you enabled this feature in Power BI Desktop when facing with this issue?

vyingjl_0-1650330921853.png

In addition, you can try to check whether you have met any limitations of this feature, see:

Using DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services (preview) 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

TSHECKEL
Advocate II

Yes, the DirectQuery for PBI datasets and AS has been enabled since conception. 

This shared dataset has been in place for close to a year and we have numerous analysts cconnecting to it through a shared "build" permission. We have not had any issue until the last week or so. It now randomly throws that error message. It may work for a day or two then crash or it may run for a few hours and then crash. We can temporarily resolve the issue by republishing a local copy of the pbix to the service. 

Again, I believe it's due to the recent service update that took place that allows master shared datasets to now be configured so that end users can access content with read versus previously having to have read, build on the master shared dataset. https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/update-to-required-permissions-when-using-composite-models-...

rjurgens94
Regular Visitor

Hi TSHECKEL, 

Did you ever discover the root-cause of this error on your end?

I am also seeing this error on a dataset I created from using the CRM "Visualize This View" button in our environment. I am using a live connection and saved and then downloaded the consequencial .pbix file and started building off of it by "getting data" using the dataverse method. 

Microsoft Support is also unclear as to why this happening. When I tried to recreate what I did months back, I did notice that trying to open a new pbix view prompted a dialog asking if I wanted to a run native query.

Do we believe that a Native Query is used when creating a dataset based of a View in CRM?

Please let me know if you have any updates. Thank you in advance.

TSHECKEL
Advocate II

Hi @rjurgens94, This eventually worked istelf out and my guess is through an update that may have taken place to our capcity on the Service. We haven't experienced it since.   

rjurgens94
Regular Visitor

Hi @TSHECKEL,

Thank you for the prompt response.

It does seem like my Desktop client inherited a change done to Service that "broke" my semantic model. We did recently initate a trial of the Microsoft Fabric service (we use PRO licenses at the moment) but, I cannot imagine that would cause this error.

In your case, could you "Transform Data?" As in, you were able to see your queries loaded. I am getting "Queries [0]" and I cannot seem to re-connect the original data source for the life of me.

Thank again for any advice.

awarriorpoet
Helper I

Having the same issue.  PB Destkop said I need to conver to Direct Query.  I soon as I published the changes to the report - my primary data source is basically unavailable.    Does not show up in Query when I go to Transform.  

I have checked all login credentials and connections, but when I try to access this table I get this same error.  

All my Visuals are now broken too.

carlilelance
Advocate I

I'm experiencing the same things as awariorpoet.