Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Issues with Power BI Excel add in and Power BI Services Analyse in Excel feature

Hi all,

I am having issues using the Power BI Excel add in to connect to datasets as well as the Power BI Services "Analyse in Excel" feature. I have built an excel file with multiple pivot tables and slicers which are connected to a data model in Power BI that consists of 8 tables of which the main table has about ten million records.

The questions I would like to ask are below:

- Has anyone else experienced this issue?

- Am I exceeding any limitations of Excel or the OLAP query?

- Are there pros and cons to the Power BI Excel add in vs. the Power BI Services "Analyse in Excel" feature? I have used both and have not experienced better performance from either.

- Does anyone have any suggestions for a better connection method?

The below message is what Excel reads and it never completes(I have let it run for hours)

Issue2.PNG

Once I finally click "Esc" I get the below message

Issue.PNG

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@cbevan

I have not experience such issue before. It seems to be related to your dataset. I also don’t see related limitation in https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-analyze-in-excel/. Can you refresh the dataset properly in Power BI Service without using the "Analyze in Excel" feature?

Best Regards,

Herbert

cbevan
Regular Visitor

@v-haibl-msft

I am able to refresh my data set in Power BI Services without issue. I only have these issues in Excel where occasionally I am able to refresh my pivot tables but most of the time they give me errors or just never refresh.

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@cbevan

It seems the refresh problem related to your specific dataset. I suggest you to create a support ticket at http://support.powerbi.com (see bottom of page).

Best Regards,

Herbert