Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Error facing : "Connection Timeout Expired"

I have two querries, from an SQL server concecting to this report.

Sometimes when i´m trying to refresh, this error appear : "Connection Timeout Expired. Timed out trying to consume the pre-session handshake confirmation. This could be due to the pre-game handshake failing or the server being unable to respond to a tempo. The time spent trying to connect to this server was - [Pre-login] initialization=14920; handshake=10244; ;The wait timeout has been reached. The exception was raised by the IDbConnection interface."

PedroAdegas1_0-1677167968701.pngPedroAdegas1_1-1677168069766.png

I can´t understand why.

Someone can help?

Thanks.

Hi @PedroAdegas1 ,

According to the error message you provided, the problem does not lie on the Power BI side.
I found some related solutions in the internet, hope it helps.

This may be due to many reasons. Please check the below steps to make sure you are not missing anything.

1. Make sure that TCP/IP is enabled as a client protocol on the application server. For more information, see Configure client protocols. On application servers where you don't have SQL tools installed, verify that TCP/IP is enabled by running cliconfg.exe (SQL Server Client Network utility).
  2. Check the application's connection string to make sure it's configured correctly. For example, make sure that the connection string specifies the correct port (1433) and fully qualified server name. See Get connection information. Looks like you checked that already
  3. Test the connectivity between the application server and the Azure SQL Database by using SQL Server management Studio (SSMS), a UDL file, ping, or telnet. For more information, see Troubleshooting connectivity issues and Diagnostics for connectivity issues. (You also did that )

Please do also check the below document if you are not missing any steps.
Working with transient errors - Azure SQL Database | Microsoft Learn

For original post ,you may refer to Connection Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed while attempting to consume the pre-login han...

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @PedroAdegas1 ,

According to the error message you provided, the problem does not lie on the Power BI side.
I found some related solutions in the internet, hope it helps.

This may be due to many reasons. Please check the below steps to make sure you are not missing anything.

1. Make sure that TCP/IP is enabled as a client protocol on the application server. For more information, see Configure client protocols. On application servers where you don't have SQL tools installed, verify that TCP/IP is enabled by running cliconfg.exe (SQL Server Client Network utility).
  2. Check the application's connection string to make sure it's configured correctly. For example, make sure that the connection string specifies the correct port (1433) and fully qualified server name. See Get connection information. Looks like you checked that already
  3. Test the connectivity between the application server and the Azure SQL Database by using SQL Server management Studio (SSMS), a UDL file, ping, or telnet. For more information, see Troubleshooting connectivity issues and Diagnostics for connectivity issues. (You also did that )

Please do also check the below document if you are not missing any steps.
Working with transient errors - Azure SQL Database | Microsoft Learn

For original post ,you may refer to Connection Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed while attempting to consume the pre-login han...

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn