Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Editing/Adding columns in a Dataflow, Datamart is not refreshing.

Hi,

I built a Datamart on top of Dataflow (Source = PowerPlatform.Dataflows([])). When I add a column to the Dataflow, Publish and refresh it, nothing changes into the Datamart nor the default Dataset of the Datamart ! The added column is not in the Datamart.

To see the update in the Datamart and its default Dataset, I had to open Power Query of the Datamart and refresh all the Applied steps one by one (Query settings) and Save it. My new added column is now in the default dataset.

Is this a normal behavior? 

Hi  @aj1973 ,

It would be great to have a detailed picture to describe your problem.

Can you provide detailed version information so we can reproduce the issue? please also tell us which browser is being used.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi  @aj1973 ,

It would be great to have a detailed picture to describe your problem.

Can you provide detailed version information so we can reproduce the issue? please also tell us which browser is being used.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

aj1973
Community Champion

@v-xiaoyan-msft 

Browser Edge as always.

Fabric Trial, Premium Workspace.

First I created a Dataflow without the ContactName Column and Published

aj1973_0-1703685058247.pngaj1973_1-1703685117516.png

then created the Datamart from Dataflow

aj1973_2-1703685325039.png

and a default Semantic model was created as well

aj1973_3-1703685389851.png

All was good up till then.

Now I went back to the Dataflow and added the column ContactName and Published

Opened the Datamart and the semantic model and the column still not there

waited for 15 mins and refreshed the Dataflow and the Datamart and still the column in the Datamart nor the Dataset.

Opened again the Datamart  and Transform Data, clicked on these steps one by one

aj1973_4-1703685864298.png

and the column appeared. Saved and opened the Dataset, the column ContactName appeared also.

By the way this issue was first raised by someone else in this thread

Re: Is it possible to refresh a semantic model in ... - Microsoft Fabric Community

Thank you.

Amine

SOSPBI
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

I'm not sure what the typical pace is for suggestions like this, but I'm just checking in to see if @v-xiaoyan-msft  has any reply to the second description by @aj1973.

With thanks.

SOSPBI
Frequent Visitor

Dear @aj1973 

I am trying to use your approach as a work-around.  However, when I add a new column to my DataFlow, and then open up the Query Settings of the DataMart and try to Save, I am given an error in the "Wrapping Things Up" stage.  It reads:

Wrapping things up

DatamartReferencedEntitySchemaChangedException
  • ErrorMessageDataflow entity referenced by table 'Grant Requests (No Filters)' changed its columns. Please update the datamart.
  • HttpStatusCode400
  • Status code500
  • Error CodeDatamartReferencedEntitySchemaChangedException

Do you have any advice?  Thank you.

aj1973
Community Champion

@SOSPBI 

Did you first refresh the Datflow?

SOSPBI
Frequent Visitor

Thank you @aj1973 

Yes, I did.   

Update: Hello @aj1973.  I tried again, and this is what I have found.  If I open the DataFlow and add a new column to the PowerQuery, then I must save and refresh the DataFlow.  Then, I must not refresh the DataMart right away.  Instead, I must open the DataMart and go to "Transform", and click through each of the steps of the Query, as you described.  Then the new column will appear in the Report builder.  And then I can refresh the DataMart without getting the error.