Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Bug: Power BI Project feature does not accept " Measures" (w/ leading space) as a valid table name

I have a pbix that works perfectly fine with a table named " Measures", which is used to organize calculated measures in the data model.  I saved this preexisting pbix as a Power BI Project (preview feature), which creates a pbip file and several other files with the intent to check this into a version control system.  After saving as a Power BI Project, and attempting to open the pbip file (the project), I am presented an error that prevents me from openning the project: 

Unsupported Table name " Measures" has been found in the data model schema.  

mbeyerle_0-1689770260706.png

The methodology of placing a leading space has been used by many to create and organize a list of measures to the top of the list of tables, and to bypass the requirement that something cannot be named "Measures", but can be named " Measures".

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2023-07-19T12:37:04.4961330Z

Local Time:
2023-07-19T08:37:04.4961330-04:00

Session ID:
994b871a-a52b-44b0-8cb5-f09c3c47c3ff

Release:
July 2023

Product Version:
2.119.701.0 (23.07) (x64)

Error Message:
Unsupported Table name " Measures" has been found in data model schema.

Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ReportPreparer.EnsureValidObjectName(INamedMetadataObject obj)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ReportPreparer.ValidateObjectNames(Report report)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ReportPreparer.EnsureSupportedModelStructure(Report report, Boolean blockOnInvalidNames)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ReportPreparer.<Prepare>d__9.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.BiProjectOperationHandler.<LoadFromProject>d__18.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.BiProjectOperationHandler.<LoadFromPbip>d__16.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.BiProjectOperationHandler.<LoadPbiFile>d__13.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.CurrentFileManager.<ExecuteAndHandleFileOpenErrors>d__35.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.CurrentFileManager.<>c__DisplayClass23_0.<<OpenFileAndSetAsCurrent>b__1>d.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.<>c__DisplayClass13_0`1.<<BlockUIAndRun>b__0>d.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.WaitOnUIThreadForTaskCompletion[T](Task`1 task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.BlockUIAndRun[T](Func`1 asyncMethod)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.CurrentFileManager.OpenFileAndSetAsCurrent(IPowerBIWindowService windowService, IPowerBIFile fileToOpen, Nullable`1 entryPoint)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.TryOpenOrCreateReport(IPowerBIWindowService windowService, ICurrentFileManager currentFileManager, IFileHistoryManager fileHistoryManager, CommandLine commandLine, FileType fileType, IFileInformationProtectionManager fileInformationProtectionManager, IPowerBITelemetryService telemetryService)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass6_0.<RunApplication>b__0()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Stack Trace Message:
Unsupported Table name <ccon>" Measures"</ccon> has been found in data model schema.

Invocation Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.FeedbackErrorInfo..ctor(String message, Exception exception, Nullable`1 stackTraceInfo, String messageDetail)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.PowerBIUnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleKnownExceptions(Exception e)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.PowerBIUnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.RunApplication(String[] args)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

Hi @mbeyerle ,

We haven't had the good fortune to reproduce the problem.

Can you provide some screenshots to show the issue in more detail? (Please be careful not to include sensitive information)

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @mbeyerle ,

We haven't had the good fortune to reproduce the problem.

Can you provide some screenshots to show the issue in more detail? (Please be careful not to include sensitive information)

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

mbeyerle
Regular Visitor

I am currently using desktop version 2.119.701.0.  I don't recall the version used to create my pbix, but it is no earlier than May 2023.  

The measures table is defined as: 

[ Measures] = {blank()}

mbeyerle_0-1689941247243.png

I am Saving As a .pbip 

mbeyerle_1-1689941370831.png

Close the desktop app.

Find the .pbip file saved to the drive, double click to open in Power BI desktop. 

mbeyerle_3-1689941541474.png

Get the error:

mbeyerle_2-1689941492457.png

saviourofdp
Frequent Visitor

Hi all - I hope it's ok I add to this.

I am seeing a similar issue with column names in the 2.120.963.0 64-bit (August 2023) version on Windows 10.

Steps:

1. Open Power BI Desktop without a file (ie opening a blank file)
  2. Close the "Get Started" dialog if you have it enabled
  3. Click "Try a Sample Dataset" on the canvas
  4. Click "Load sample data"
  5. Select the "financials" sheet and click "Load"
  6. Save as "Power BI Project files (*.pbip)"
  7. Close Power BI Desktop
  8. Open the saved file in Power BI Desktop

I see an error "Unable to Load Document" "Unsupported Column name " Sales" has been found in data model schema."

The "Sales" column in the raw data  has a space at the start in its header, as can be seen in the error message

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2023-09-07T11:54:59.8314594Z

Local Time:
2023-09-07T12:54:59.8314594+01:00

Session ID:
a3f28042-7666-4925-9385-0753ad4cdddc

Release:
August 2023

Product Version:
2.120.963.0 (23.08) (x64)

Error Message:
Unsupported Column name " Sales" has been found in data model schema.

Stack Trace:
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ReportPreparer.EnsureValidObjectName(INamedMetadataObject obj)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ReportPreparer.ValidateObjectNames(Report report)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ReportPreparer.EnsureSupportedModelStructure(Report report, Boolean blockOnInvalidNames)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ReportPreparer.<Prepare>d__9.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.BiProjectOperationHandler.<LoadFromProject>d__18.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.BiProjectOperationHandler.<LoadFromPbip>d__16.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.BiProjectOperationHandler.<LoadPbiFile>d__13.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.CurrentFileManager.<ExecuteAndHandleFileOpenErrors>d__35.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.CurrentFileManager.<>c__DisplayClass23_0.<<OpenFileAndSetAsCurrent>b__1>d.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.<>c__DisplayClass13_0`1.<<BlockUIAndRun>b__0>d.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.WaitOnUIThreadForTaskCompletion[T](Task`1 task)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.BlockUIAndRun[T](Func`1 asyncMethod)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.CurrentFileManager.OpenFileAndSetAsCurrent(IPowerBIWindowService windowService, IPowerBIFile fileToOpen, Nullable`1 entryPoint)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.TryOpenOrCreateReport(IPowerBIWindowService windowService, ICurrentFileManager currentFileManager, IFileHistoryManager fileHistoryManager, CommandLine commandLine, FileType fileType, IFileInformationProtectionManager fileInformationProtectionManager, IPowerBITelemetryService telemetryService)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass6_0.<RunApplication>b__0()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__0()

Stack Trace Message:
Unsupported Column name <ccon>" Sales"</ccon> has been found in data model schema.

Invocation Stack Trace:
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.FeedbackErrorInfo..ctor(String message, Exception exception, Nullable`1 stackTraceInfo, String messageDetail)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.PowerBIUnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleKnownExceptions(Exception e)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.PowerBIUnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.RunApplication(String[] args)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.19045.0 (x64 en-US)

CLR Version:
4.8 or later [Release Number = 528372]

Peak Virtual Memory:
69.8 GB

Private Memory:
416 MB

Peak Working Set:
658 MB

IE Version:

User ID:
a2566eb8-f0ed-4d98-8180-2ec988b6fc3c

Telemetry Enabled:
True

DPI Scale:
100%

Supported Services:
Power BI

rossholmberg

Just to add that I'm seeing the same issue. pbix works fine, pbip fails with a similar error to what others have seen. In my case it's trailing spaces, so can add that it's happening at either end of the string.

I've managed to solve the issue by doing a find-and-replace across all the pbip files, which allowed me to at least open the project. Then I had to find where the columns with the issue were, and add a step to rename them when the data first get pulled in. My pbip now opens, and I didn't need to edit the raw data files.