Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

403 forbidden when REST api call

I am calling "https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/groups/{0}/reports/{1}/ExportTo" Api in my mvc application.

HttpWebRequest request = System.Net.HttpWebRequest.CreateHttp(string.Format("https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/groups/{0}/reports/{1}/ExportTo", workspaceId,reportId1));
request.KeepAlive = true;
request.Method = "POST";
request.ContentType = "application/json";

request.Headers.Add("Authorization", String.Format("Bearer {0}", token));

using (var streamWriter = new StreamWriter(request.GetRequestStream()))
{
string json = "{\"format\":\"PDF\"}";

streamWriter.Write(json);
}

var response = (HttpWebResponse)request.GetResponse();

Here i was getting access token like this,

string result = authContext.AcquireTokenAsync(resourceUriPowerBi, clientCredential).Result.AccessTok...

after this I got the error

{"error":{"code":"InvalidRequest","message":"Export report requires effective identity to be provided for the report's dataset"}}

then I write a code to get embed token by passing access level and identities i used at power bi Desktop to use RLS

string embedToken =
(await pbiClient.Reports.GenerateTokenInGroupAsync(workspaceId,
report.Id,
generateTokenRequestParameters)).Token;

Now I got the 403 forbidden error with no text.

Can anyone please help me to understand this why it is giving 403 error.

earlier i successfully called the refresh dataset api using access token got using client credential...

Tahnks in advance.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

Please try the API with your account via Try it to see if the same issue occurs: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/reports/exporttofileingroup

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft

Same response using Try it, Postman

Now, for reports which do not have row level security applied I am successfully able to get PDF by next api 

Get File Of Export To File In Group. 

But when I input reports to which Row level security applied from Power bi desktop giving this error

{"error":{"code":"InvalidRequest","message":"Export report requires effective identity to be provided for the report's dataset"}}

Here I thought I should use embed token with roles and identities, so I passed the embed token in Authorization header. But for this now I am getting 403 error.

I can't reach to conclusion whether I stick with access token or I should use embed token both are giving two different errors.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

Please create a support ticket to get help. 

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Armand_Theron
Frequent Visitor

I would like to know if you got this resolved ?

As I'm sitting with a simillar issue....

talderman
Frequent Visitor

Like @Armand_Theron,  I would also like to know this was resolved.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous Did you ever solve this?  We're having the exact same issue.

ageet

Hi @Anonymous  Did you get the solution? we have same issue