Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

ankitpatira

Row Level Security in Power BI

In PowerBI.com under Datasets in Left side pane click three dots for your dataset and then click SECURITY.

1.png

On Row-Level Security page click Create New Role.

2.png

Click Continue on warning sign that says if you re-publish this dataset you have to create row level security again.

3.png

Create roles as per requirements. In this case I have dataset that has some sales figures for different states across Australia so I am going to create roles for each of those states thereby limiting users to only see the sales data for their state.

4.png

Next step is to add users to those roles created above. Select role on left and under Members tab add users by typing in their email address and click Save. Please note you can only add users who have signed up to PowerBI.com before. If you try add users who have not signed up when you save it will give error.

5.png

Under Rules tab select table from your dataset and use DAX query to limit access to the rows in that table. Here I am limiting to only those rows in table Sheet1 where State column has value Western Australia. For this post I am keeping it simple but as you can see you can write complex DAX queries to achieve level of security you want.

Sheet1[State]="Western Australia"

6.png

Once saved next time users of that role access the dashboard they will see the same report with filtered data. Below are the screenshot of the original dashboard and one seen by the user of Western Australia Users role. You may need to download these images and zoom in to be able to see difference in number values for each visuals.

7.png

user.png

Comments