Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerAuto82
Helper II
Helper II

Dataflow - Connecting to Azure SQL Database - Invalid Credentials

Hi,

I am trying to connect to an Azure SQL Database using DataFlow but I get the below error message

PowerAuto82_0-1665493567613.png

The same server / database / user / password details arebeing used for Paginated reports and the reports run fine and they are on the same workspace.

Any ideas what the issue could 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @vanessafvg @aj1973 

It looks like the issue was the Database Name, I had square brackets around the Database Name like the below

[AdventureWorks]

When I removed this and the Database now looked like the below

AdventureWorks

The connection worked and I could pull the data in.

Thanks

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

can you share the details of both connection types?  you can hide sensitve information.  Are you using a gateway at all?  

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi @vanessafvg 

No I am not using a Gateway because my source this time is on an Azure SQL Database which I have read on some blogs that is not required.

Please see below...

1. Click into to the Workspace I want to create the Dataflow
  2. Click New > Dataflow
  3. Click Define new tables > Add new tables
  4. Choose Azure SQL Database 

PowerAuto82_2-1665515825362.png

PowerAuto82_3-1665516432950.png

Hi @PowerAuto82 

I would use 

aj1973_0-1665526200699.png

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

does your paginated reports access it from behind a gateway?  Just because you can access a azure database without a gateway doesn't mean there isn't one required.  Some companies still have reasons to put in gateways even if there is a supported cloud source.    You need to access it your data the exact way your paginated reports do. 

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Hi @vanessafvg 

My paginated reports does not use a Gateway.

Thanks

ok its just hard to understand how your paginated reports are accessing it and you can't via dataflows and its in the same workspace, so what is different?  

Hi @vanessafvg @aj1973 

It looks like the issue was the Database Name, I had square brackets around the Database Name like the below

[AdventureWorks]

When I removed this and the Database now looked like the below

AdventureWorks

The connection worked and I could pull the data in.

Thanks

Hi @vanessafvg 

It must be something to do with the Dataflow, as I  can create Dataset for example...

• Open Power BI Desktop (Locally)
  • Connect to an Azure SQL Database, add my SQL Statament, Load Data in and create a Table
  • Publish the pbix file to PowerBI.com to the Workspace
  • Go to PowerBi.com, go to the Workspace, locate the Dataset and schedule this and this runs successfully.

Thanks

when you connect to the paginated reports is that on your desktop?  is there maybe a service account that connects to the azure environment from the workspace?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors