Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

PowerAuto82
Helper II
Helper II

Dataflow - Connecting to Azure SQL Database - Invalid Credentials

Hi,

I am trying to connect to an Azure SQL Database using DataFlow but I get the below error message

PowerAuto82_0-1665493567613.png

The same server / database / user / password details arebeing used for Paginated reports and the reports run fine and they are on the same workspace.

Any ideas what the issue could 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @vanessafvg @aj1973 

It looks like the issue was the Database Name, I had square brackets around the Database Name like the below

[AdventureWorks]

When I removed this and the Database now looked like the below

AdventureWorks

The connection worked and I could pull the data in.

Thanks

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

can you share the details of both connection types?  you can hide sensitve information.  Are you using a gateway at all?  

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi @vanessafvg 

No I am not using a Gateway because my source this time is on an Azure SQL Database which I have read on some blogs that is not required.

Please see below...

1. Click into to the Workspace I want to create the Dataflow
  2. Click New > Dataflow
  3. Click Define new tables > Add new tables
  4. Choose Azure SQL Database 

PowerAuto82_2-1665515825362.png

PowerAuto82_3-1665516432950.png

Hi @PowerAuto82 

I would use 

aj1973_0-1665526200699.png

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

does your paginated reports access it from behind a gateway?  Just because you can access a azure database without a gateway doesn't mean there isn't one required.  Some companies still have reasons to put in gateways even if there is a supported cloud source.    You need to access it your data the exact way your paginated reports do. 

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Hi @vanessafvg 

My paginated reports does not use a Gateway.

Thanks

ok its just hard to understand how your paginated reports are accessing it and you can't via dataflows and its in the same workspace, so what is different?  

Hi @vanessafvg @aj1973 

It looks like the issue was the Database Name, I had square brackets around the Database Name like the below

[AdventureWorks]

When I removed this and the Database now looked like the below

AdventureWorks

The connection worked and I could pull the data in.

Thanks

Hi @vanessafvg 

It must be something to do with the Dataflow, as I  can create Dataset for example...

• Open Power BI Desktop (Locally)
  • Connect to an Azure SQL Database, add my SQL Statament, Load Data in and create a Table
  • Publish the pbix file to PowerBI.com to the Workspace
  • Go to PowerBi.com, go to the Workspace, locate the Dataset and schedule this and this runs successfully.

Thanks

when you connect to the paginated reports is that on your desktop?  is there maybe a service account that connects to the azure environment from the workspace?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors