cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
googlogmob Member

Dashboards are not refreshing

The problem is that dashboard tiles are not refreshing, whereas the report connected to the dashboard is updating properly according to the set schedule.
This problem became very frequent about a week ago, at the same time as the Shapes option was added. Since that only manual update helps (I simply repin the tiles to the dashboard). As I pin a fresh tile to the dashboard, the similar tile pinned earlier also gets updated.
But after manual repining of the tile, it is not getting updated anymore, unless I repin it again.
Please, advice how the dashboards could be updated regularly and automatically (without my participation).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Power BI Team Amanda
Power BI Team

Re: Dashboards are not refreshing

Hi @googlogmob, Are you still see this issue? If so, can you file a support ticket at https://support.powerbi.com/ since may require more in depth troubleshooting. Thanks!

68 REPLIES 68
Power BI Team Amanda
Power BI Team

Hi @googlogmob, Are you still see this issue? If so, can you file a support ticket at https://support.powerbi.com/ since may require more in depth troubleshooting. Thanks!

Super User
Super User

I filed a ticket and have only received a canned response so far. This has been an ongoing problem for over a month.

Power BI Team Amanda
Power BI Team

We made a transition to a new ticketing system about a month and a half ago. This new system should have a faster response time, and if you are still seeing issues, please let me know. 

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

@Amanda

I am now receiving hit and miss answers to my ticket. The last email said due to holiday time, response time was slow. I am a Pro user but can't get the admin to send a ticket.

I have alternately been told it was fixed and that they are working on it. I am refreshing several dashboards several times per week by re-pinning visuals. I really need to get this fixed. Today I am supposed to walk the CEO through the IOS app so that she can view the very dashboards that I can't get to refresh.  Here is a snip from the last email I received:

"I have heard that after the known issue with these tiles not refreshing from multiple data sources, the product group has noted they resolved it. I was informed by other customers that as of this week they were able to re-pin the visualizations again to the dashboard and the refresh continued to work for more than just one day (as you had experienced before). If you don’t mind giving this a try and updating me."

The last email assured me that it was fixed last week and requested that I repin my visuals. Well, as Monday rolled around I was repinning again. Very frustrating.

This should be fixed by now.

REG:115103013322498

djnww Established Member
Established Member

I wouldn't call it an issue, but it is a limitation to Power BI, and a very annoying one not just to me, but all our current users.

There needs to be a way for us to simply select a new report filter (ie. current month) and have the dashboards update accordingly. Or when we repin a dashboard, at least overwrite the existing one rather than create a duplicate.

- Daniel

v-dabatc Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

I see this as a much needed feature, and I'm looking forward to it being implemented.

greggyb New Contributor
New Contributor

It's important to understand what's going on in a dashboard tile. A dashboard tile is not a reference to a report visual, but a reference to a report visual ***AND*** to that visual's filter context at the time of pinning. This is by design and very useful. I will often create dashboards by creating a report, then applying filters to that report (e.g. to a CurrentYearFlag = true, or to a specific dimension category only), and then pin the same visual to the dashboard under multiple filter contexts.

The fact that a dashboard tile does not inherit new filters placed on the parent after the time of pinning is, to my mind, a very valuable and powerful feature (else I'd have to create the same report a half dozen times to support the filters in a single dashboard - talk about unwieldy).

Then there is an issue seen by some users where the data shown in a dashboard tile is not updated as data is refreshed, thus data that now exists in the underlying dataset (and should be visible in that tile's filter context) is not being reflected in the tile visual, whereas it is being displayed in the report visual (when that visual has the same filter context as the tile).

Only the second item described is a bug. The first is a feature that sometimes trips up first-time users.

jschlereth Member

As of 4/29/2016 this still appears to be an issue and is not solved. I've verified the data has been updated in my report visualizations, but I cannot get it to update in my dashboard.

Very frustrating!

imbaky Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue, when I pin a tile on the dashboard it doesn't get refreshed. however when you pin a whole page it does.