cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
tanmayseth

Re: Dashboards are not refreshing

This feature is restricting us to automate out dashboards. we always have to create new dashboard whenever there is new set of data available. consider the scenario where one has to publish daily reports and he/she has to make dashboard each and everytime  which is very annoying. Atleast in excel we just have to refresh pivot/charts and view gets changed accordingly

yings
Frequent Visitor

Problem is still there!

mchaponis Advocate I
Advocate I

Ok. So, my latest "workaround" from Microsoft works however, it is a good news / bad news situation...

From Microsoft:

The RC is a date time filter on the report page from the date slicer (bottom left visual). It appears that the customer has the below ordering of events.

1. Report has date slicer from 1/1/2017 to 7/31/17. 
  2. Customer pins tile, which saves a filter for that date range (as shown by traces)
  3. The date range is changed on the report (to end at 7/1) and saved.
  4. The report now is filtering to a different date range than the tile. We do not update tiles if the report is changed, the user must re-pin the tile. In this case the report has a different date range than the visual.

This explains why there would be different date range in the tile vs the report.

My recommendation to the customer is to:

1. Delete the tile
  2. In the report, clear the date slicer state. You can do this by dragging the left slider all the way to the left, and the right slider all the way to the right (set the min/max) on the date slicer visual. By setting the min/max you are setting "no filter"
  3. Save the report
  4. Pin the visual - the visual will have no date filtering.
  5. Refresh - visual should match report before and after refresh

The good news... This works. The bad news is it basically negates the date slicer function from the dashboards. Reports can still be filtered manually however, the most important fingertip info cannot be? For shame. 

I have replied back to the support staff stating this very issue and hope to hear from the soon. Mind you, this issue has been going on for MONTHS. Meanwhile, I rebuild dashboards... wait for it ... DAILY. 

afernando Helper II
Helper II

Hi mate,

It's a shame that dashboards with filters don't refresh and it's been going for months. Consider using views if your data is on a SQL database.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Anton 

amerfarhan
Frequent Visitor

When we pin any tile to dashboard it creates a copy on the dashboard, it is not linked with report anymore. It is linked directly to the dataset. This is what I learnt from usage. I use dashboard to highlight just summaries, pin only those tiles you are not expecting to change for long time and use those tiles as navigation to the actual report. Do not place too much information on the dashboard.

tannera Advocate II
Advocate II

Isn't the whole point of dashboards to show small snippets of automatically refreshed information? 

amerfarhan
Frequent Visitor

Absolutely right, the idea was not bad. The way it was implemented technically is very bad. I understand it is too difficult for them to change it without changing the whole architecture, that is the reason it takes so long to fix it. 

CRamirez Advocate II
Advocate II

Any update on this issue?

Due to the lack of dashboard refresh, subscriptions are basically useless.

mchaponis Advocate I
Advocate I

Solved! - Sort of....

After much deliberation with MS tech support, the problem was narrowed down to the date filter slider I was using.

@afernandois correct. When a tile on the dash is created from a filtered result set, the tile does not change when the result set is updated. It still thinks it is within a specific date range.

For example, if my results were narrowed down with a date slider to be between 01/01/17 and 9/20/17 and I created the dash tile on 9/20; on 9/21 the results would be the same as the day before. The tile retained the filtered date range I set previously, ignoring the new info. 

Sadly, it sort of makes sense. The way around it is to use "views". If you pin the tile as a view on your dash, the results pushed to the dash will be confined to the parameters set in the report. I personally set my query to pull a result set for the whole year allowing me a moving YTD date range to work with. As the date filter is only set on the "left" side (the beginning time) I leave the end time open to whatever the last result is. That way, my reports refresh which in turn keeps my pinned views on my dashboard accurate.

I hope this makes sense. It took me a while to get my head wrapped around it to be honest. Too many dates.

Good luck!!

niasha Advocate III
Advocate III

I have this porblem. Any solution ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks Launched March 24th!

New Ranks Launched March 24th!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power BI Community!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Missed the Arun 'Triple A' event or want to revisit it? We've got you covered! Check out the video, Q&A, and slides now.

Join THE global Microsoft Power Platform event series.

Join THE global Power Platform event series.

Attend for two days of expert-led learning and innovation on topics like AI and Analytics, powered by Dynamic Communities.

Community Summit North America

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow. The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications