Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

messerjc
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

June 2018 Release of Power BI Report Server?

Our team's migration project to PBIRS has been delayed a few months, but I'm crossing my fingers that we'll be able to move forward in June. Now that we're closing in on June, and I believe the original idea was quarterly releases for Report Server...does anyone know if we can plan on seeing a new release in the next few weeks? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The plan is to do three releases a year, and we're shooting to keep that consistent, so we're expecting to see the next release of the server come in July as mentioned, though it might slip into early August because of the all the work we're doing to land the initial preview of RDL reports in Power BI Premium (as was pointed out on Twitter today by some eagle-eyed users viewing the Dynamics 365 release docs).

View solution in original post

72 REPLIES 72
Anonymous
Not applicable

About August 2018 Release of Power BI Report Server...... any news? no news?... 

messerjc
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Relax folks, it's only 8:30am on the west coast 🙂 

@messerjc wrote:

Relax folks, it's only 8:30am on the west coast 🙂 

About that..... Smiley Wink

For whatever reason, the download center pages are a little slow to update this evening, but the file downloads are technically live and Microsoft docs is even showing the updates under "What's New".  The blog post with more details will be live in the morning, but if for some reason the download center pages aren't live soon, I'll post the individual file download links here.

Chris

Yes please.

The other Chris.

With over three hours to spare 🙂

Power BI Report Server (August 2018) : https://www.microsoft.com/download/details.aspx?id=57270

Blogpost coming in the morning!

Hi @chrisfin, after each update, we always had to clean the browser cache for every user . It is being a recurrent issue since the first update. Maybe you could add a 'Tip' on the blog post recommending to clean the browser's cache if a user expect any problem.

IE: On this August update, the "Loading" icon keeps rolling until we clean the cache... on previous updates, some visuals didn't render (like new matrix).

Thanks for the feedback, and we've called out in the blogpost (which should be live shortly) that users who are upgrading should clear their browser cache for the best experience.

Have downloaded and installed the August release, minor issue but in "About Power BI Report Server" it still says March 2018 though the build number has changed to 1.3.6801.38816.

Hi @Ccparkhill, here it says August: "Version 1.3.6801.38816 (August 2018)"

Looks like IE was caching that, refreshed the browser and now showing August 2018, here's how it looked:

Capture.PNG

I've upgraded to August update and restarted through the Configuration Manager.

When I go to the URL, all my folders are there but when trying to open Power BI reports, the circle of dots keep going round

When I try to open Paginated reports, I get this error:

Failed to load expression host assembly. Details: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.ReportingServices.ProcessingObjectModel, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040) (rsErrorLoadingExprHostAssembly)

Anyone else getting this and any ideas?

@DaveW & @CB1 Can you start a new thread for the issues you are seeing, there were some dll version changes in this release that needed updated binding redirects. It will be easier to help if this is it's own thread.

Agreed, time to shut down this June 2018 release? thread lol...onward to August 2018 release!

CB1
Frequent Visitor

We have the same problems as DaveW

Ongoing loading data screens, both IE11 and Chrome.

It's a Windows Server 2012 / SQL Server 2016 environment on Azure

Reports are working correct in Power BI Desktop august release, only not in PBIRS.

Looks to be an issue with things stored in the Browser Cache. We cleared the entire history etc from the browser cache and the reports have started running.

@mattharling for the Edit in Desktop button do you have the August Release of Desktop for PBIRS Installed? Also the cache is a known issue that we fixed in this release however it does require to you do clear your cache one more time, it shouldn't happen in future releases. For any new issues you find please start new threads or post an issue on the issues forum:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

Looks to be an issue with things stored in the Browser Cache. We cleared the entire history etc from the browser cache and the reports have started running.

That did the trick.  Reports work now.  Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.

Top Solution Authors