Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

messerjc
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

June 2018 Release of Power BI Report Server?

Our team's migration project to PBIRS has been delayed a few months, but I'm crossing my fingers that we'll be able to move forward in June. Now that we're closing in on June, and I believe the original idea was quarterly releases for Report Server...does anyone know if we can plan on seeing a new release in the next few weeks? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The plan is to do three releases a year, and we're shooting to keep that consistent, so we're expecting to see the next release of the server come in July as mentioned, though it might slip into early August because of the all the work we're doing to land the initial preview of RDL reports in Power BI Premium (as was pointed out on Twitter today by some eagle-eyed users viewing the Dynamics 365 release docs).

View solution in original post

72 REPLIES 72

Thanks, that's about what I've been guessing too. Crossing my fingers for a mid-June release because I don't know what kind of window I'll have to worth with, and I haven't found any specifics elsewhere on features.

The plan is to do three releases a year, and we're shooting to keep that consistent, so we're expecting to see the next release of the server come in July as mentioned, though it might slip into early August because of the all the work we're doing to land the initial preview of RDL reports in Power BI Premium (as was pointed out on Twitter today by some eagle-eyed users viewing the Dynamics 365 release docs).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @chrisfin,

Any update on when we can expect the new release and what will be included in it? I am particularly keen to get the Tooltip Report functionality into our on-prem PBI solutions, is that to be included in the up coming release?

Where will the new release availability be announched? I'm a little confused about which PBI news source I should be monitoring, is there a single news source to rule them all?

Thanks

Rob

It's highly unlikely that tooltip report feature will be included as it's still in  preview and preview stuff is not included in report server.

That's so very unfortunate, it's something our users are pushing hard for Smiley Sad

I was wrong report tooltips made it in.  Well done guys a monster release,

And 3 days later, still no retraction, minor release, or community uproar yet 🙂 a huge achievement guys!

Well, I spoke a bit too early. We have PBI RS August crashing IE 11 (yeah... no one should be using that beast anyway, but we all secretly do or have to) and data label transparency issue so far...

What other issues has everyone been experiencing?
I'm holding out for a little while in case there's any fix patching coming soon.

Any update on the release date given that the 15th is today Smiley Happy

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is why they never give out dates...

Smiley LOL

The problem is they did... and it's on video

We're still on track for that date . . .

Anonymous
Not applicable

Chris has announced a provisional date of the 15th August for the release. This was last updated during the bizApp session last week.

Announced for the next release is

> Rollup of new PBI Features

> Improved Custom Visuals

> SAP HANA DQ (Kerberos)

I suggest you watch the video linked in an earlier thread. Answers a lot of our questions and outlines the plan for the report server.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/businessapplicationssummit/video/BAS2018-2171

Best place for roadmap is

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/business-applications-release-notes/october18/

Early August. At least that's finally a relatively straight answer from Microsoft about it.

Thanks @DaveW for making me laugh... "really vital for world peace and harmony..." agreed, I feel like I get blamed by my company for Microsoft's late releases. "It's coming in June possibly, no now it's July, wait, August."

Yes, I think it's fair to say we'll not have something until early August - I know it's frustrating to have these delays, but I'm trying to be as transparent as possible around timing so you all can plan accordingly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry if it's been asked before but is there any documentation about what features will be in the next release?  In particular I'm interested in knowing whether buttons will be included.

Not yet, but buttons should be supported in there from what I've been told by the desktop team.

Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback Lorian, I love not being serious some of the time.

I do wonder if MS got a chuckle and whether my single response can save the planet and more importantly, your company from blaming you for the delay in features.

I got an update from the ideas page that I'm supporting; for the option to remove Filters from PBIRS published reports, that it would not be included in the next release which is due in July but probably not August now, which means for such an important security feature, I'll probably have to wait around 8 months since supporting the idea on the ideas page. I think the idea was raised around 20 months ago.  This is just so average and it really got me thinking how poor the ideas to reality train for PBIRS really is...

Based on previous releases you need to factor in at least another month after the initial release date for bug fix builds to be issued:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/changelog

Sooo Chris, it's July. Any news on when we can expect this release? If it is coming in July we need to plan this in.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.