Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AnthonyB
Advocate I
Advocate I

Installation of On-premises data gateway fails

I have tried to install the On-premises data gateway numerous times and keep getting the same failure and error message:

On-premises data gateway installation

The gateway installation failed

System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot start service PBIEgwService on computer '.'. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.Start(String[] args)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.EgwInstallUtils.CustomActions.RestartServiceImpl(String serviceDisplayName, TimeSpan timeout)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.EgwInstallUtils.CustomActions.RestartService(Session session)

The Server is running Windows Server 2012 R2 with .Net Framework 4.5 installed and Windows Update fully up to date as of 14 March 2018.

I am logged into the console session, via RDP, with the local Administrator account.

The server is not a Domain Controller, nor a member of a domain. It is a stand-alone server.

I am using all default settings, e.g. installing in "C:\Program Files\On-premises data gateway"

I am using the 520KB PowerBIGatewayInstaller.exe installer which pulls the installer files down from the web so I am assuming I have the latest installer. In the log file I found a line that references v14.16.6614.5 which appears to be the current full download installer version as well.

Its value is 'C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{ED678335-30DF-49ED-B179-71B48A517198}v14.16.6614.5\EgwComponents.msi'.

After looking through similar posts in these community forums I:

1. Checked that permissions were OK on C:\Users - The Administrators group, which contains the local Administrator account I am using, has Full Control
  2. Checked for remnants of C:\Users\PBIEgwService and deleted but subsequent installs still failed
  3. Confirmed that my Administrator account and NT SERVICE\ALL SERVICES were granted "Log on as a service" privilege. I did find NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService had been added as well.
  4. Ran "Test-NetConnection -ComputerName watchdog.servicebus.windows.net -Port 9350" and confirmed that I got TcpTestSucceeded : True
  5. Rebooted server between attempts

The relevant part of the installation log appears to be as follows:

MSI (s) (58:28) [15:15:57:224]: Doing action: RestartService
MSI (s) (58:28) [15:15:57:224]: Note: 1: 2205 2:  3: ActionText 
Action ended 15:15:57: AddServiceUserToPerfGroup. Return value 1.
MSI (s) (58:A4) [15:15:57:228]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI9CF7.tmp, Entrypoint: RestartService
Action start 15:15:57: RestartService.
SFXCA: Extracting custom action to temporary directory: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI9CF7.tmp-\
SFXCA: Binding to CLR version v4.0.30319
Calling custom action Microsoft.DataTransfer.EgwInstallUtils!Microsoft.PowerBI.EgwInstallUtils.CustomActions.RestartService
MSI (s) (58!64) [15:16:35:007]: 
1: {"ClassName":"System.InvalidOperationException","Message":"Cannot start service PBIEgwService on computer '.'.","Data":null,"InnerException":{"NativeErrorCode":1053,"ClassName":"System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception","Message":"The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion","Data":null,"InnerException":null,"HelpURL":null,"StackTraceString":null,"RemoteStackTraceString":null,"RemoteStackIndex":0,"ExceptionMethod":null,"HResult":-2147467259,"Source":null,"WatsonBuckets":null},"HelpURL":null,"StackTraceString":"   at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.Start(String[] args)\r\n   at Microsoft.PowerBI.EgwInstallUtils.CustomActions.RestartServiceImpl(String serviceDisplayName, TimeSpan timeout)\r\n   at Microsoft.PowerBI.EgwInstallUtils.CustomActions.RestartService(Session session)","RemoteStackTraceString":null,"RemoteStackIndex":0,"ExceptionMethod":"8\nStart\nSystem.ServiceProcess, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a\nSystem.ServiceProcess.ServiceController\nVoid Start(System.String[])","HResult":-2146233079,"Source":"System.ServiceProcess","WatsonBuckets":null} 
CustomAction RestartService returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Action ended 15:16:35: RestartService. Return value 3.
Action ended 15:16:35: INSTALL. Return value 3.

I've zipped three installation logs files from the 3 attempts I've made to install and they are available for download from here - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhbwEI22K05bq6t5dsXfIAmLdGTB3w

Any suggestions appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@AnthonyB,

I am trying to test your scenario, but I am unable to reproduce this issue.

Could you please use Process Monitor to capture the installation process, and check if there are any permisson-related issues.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I am having a similiar install issue. Was there a resolution to this issue?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors