cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
AnthonyB Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Installation of On-premises data gateway fails

I have tried to install the On-premises data gateway numerous times and keep getting the same failure and error message:

On-premises data gateway installation

The gateway installation failed

System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot start service PBIEgwService on computer '.'. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.Start(String[] args)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.EgwInstallUtils.CustomActions.RestartServiceImpl(String serviceDisplayName, TimeSpan timeout)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.EgwInstallUtils.CustomActions.RestartService(Session session)

The Server is running Windows Server 2012 R2 with .Net Framework 4.5 installed and Windows Update fully up to date as of 14 March 2018.

I am logged into the console session, via RDP, with the local Administrator account.

The server is not a Domain Controller, nor a member of a domain. It is a stand-alone server.

I am using all default settings, e.g. installing in "C:\Program Files\On-premises data gateway"

I am using the 520KB PowerBIGatewayInstaller.exe installer which pulls the installer files down from the web so I am assuming I have the latest installer. In the log file I found a line that references v14.16.6614.5 which appears to be the current full download installer version as well.

Its value is 'C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{ED678335-30DF-49ED-B179-71B48A517198}v14.16.6614.5\EgwComponents.msi'.

After looking through similar posts in these community forums I:

1. Checked that permissions were OK on C:\Users - The Administrators group, which contains the local Administrator account I am using, has Full Control
  2. Checked for remnants of C:\Users\PBIEgwService and deleted but subsequent installs still failed
  3. Confirmed that my Administrator account and NT SERVICE\ALL SERVICES were granted "Log on as a service" privilege. I did find NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService had been added as well.
  4. Ran "Test-NetConnection -ComputerName watchdog.servicebus.windows.net -Port 9350" and confirmed that I got TcpTestSucceeded : True
  5. Rebooted server between attempts

The relevant part of the installation log appears to be as follows:

MSI (s) (58:28) [15:15:57:224]: Doing action: RestartService
MSI (s) (58:28) [15:15:57:224]: Note: 1: 2205 2:  3: ActionText 
Action ended 15:15:57: AddServiceUserToPerfGroup. Return value 1.
MSI (s) (58:A4) [15:15:57:228]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI9CF7.tmp, Entrypoint: RestartService
Action start 15:15:57: RestartService.
SFXCA: Extracting custom action to temporary directory: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI9CF7.tmp-\
SFXCA: Binding to CLR version v4.0.30319
Calling custom action Microsoft.DataTransfer.EgwInstallUtils!Microsoft.PowerBI.EgwInstallUtils.CustomActions.RestartService
MSI (s) (58!64) [15:16:35:007]: 
1: {"ClassName":"System.InvalidOperationException","Message":"Cannot start service PBIEgwService on computer '.'.","Data":null,"InnerException":{"NativeErrorCode":1053,"ClassName":"System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception","Message":"The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion","Data":null,"InnerException":null,"HelpURL":null,"StackTraceString":null,"RemoteStackTraceString":null,"RemoteStackIndex":0,"ExceptionMethod":null,"HResult":-2147467259,"Source":null,"WatsonBuckets":null},"HelpURL":null,"StackTraceString":"   at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.Start(String[] args)\r\n   at Microsoft.PowerBI.EgwInstallUtils.CustomActions.RestartServiceImpl(String serviceDisplayName, TimeSpan timeout)\r\n   at Microsoft.PowerBI.EgwInstallUtils.CustomActions.RestartService(Session session)","RemoteStackTraceString":null,"RemoteStackIndex":0,"ExceptionMethod":"8\nStart\nSystem.ServiceProcess, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a\nSystem.ServiceProcess.ServiceController\nVoid Start(System.String[])","HResult":-2146233079,"Source":"System.ServiceProcess","WatsonBuckets":null} 
CustomAction RestartService returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Action ended 15:16:35: RestartService. Return value 3.
Action ended 15:16:35: INSTALL. Return value 3.

I've zipped three installation logs files from the 3 attempts I've made to install and they are available for download from here - https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhbwEI22K05bq6t5dsXfIAmLdGTB3w

Any suggestions appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2
Moderator v-yuezhe-msft

Re: Installation of On-premises data gateway fails

@AnthonyB,

I am trying to test your scenario, but I am unable to reproduce this issue.

Could you please use Process Monitor to capture the installation process, and check if there are any permisson-related issues.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
hsnjjb Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Installation of On-premises data gateway fails

I am having a similiar install issue. Was there a resolution to this issue?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

Ask Amanda Anything Q&A

Ask Amanda Anything Q&A

Learn the answers to some of the questions asked during the Amanda Triple A event.

October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Solution Badges

New Solution Badges

Two waves of brand new solution badges are coming! Read the article for more information on our new community badges.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 158 members 1,774 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: