Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aosaigh
Regular Visitor

Connecting to Postgres DB on AWS via on-premises gateway

I have a Windows Server instance set up in my AWS VPC. This server has an on premise gateway installed and I have connected to the gateway from the Power BI dashboard (so the connection seems to be working OK). I have tested the connection from the Windows Server to my RDS Postgres instance and everything works, in other words, I can connect (using psql) from the machine the gateway is running on to my database.

I am trying to now set up a postgres data source in the Power BI dashboard but when I add the credentials I get a generic error message:

"Unable to connect: We encountered an error while trying to connect to . Details: "We could not register this data source for any gateway instances within this cluster. Please find more details below about specific errors for each gateway instance."

How can I debug this? There are no further details and I'm not sure what the problem is.

• Is there anything I need to install or configure on the Windows Server instance apart from the gateway itself? "Connectors"?
  • I assume that the database details (host, username and password) are the RDS details local to my AWS VPC. This database isn't publically accessible, hence the use of the gateway in the first place
1 REPLY 1
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@aosaigh,

As you have no issues connecting to the database from the gateway machine, you should be OK to add the database within gateway in Power BI Service.

Have you seen Show details at the tail of the above error message? If so, expand it to view detailed error message. If you don't have "Show details", please export gateway log following the guide in this article.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors