Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

MBisceglia
Frequent Visitor

Getting the date that has most of the work shift

Hi everyone!

I have a real problem here. I have a dataset with pieces of work that have 2 fields: "PunchInTime" and "PunchOutTime". My problem is that I need to group these by the date that has most of the work shift. For instance, if an employee started working on 8/13 at 9 PM until 8/14 6 AM is going to be 8/14 instead of 8/13 since 6 hours of the shift falls into 8/14 (Please look below). I would like to add this as a step in my query in the query editor. Does anyone know how to do this? Capture19.PNG

Any help will be highly appreciated, Thanks!

Michelle

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @MBisceglia ,
you can use Date.EndOfDay  function to calculate duration with regards to PunchInTime and StartOfDay accordingly.
If you need help with this, please provide sample data like described here: 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-provide-sample-data-in-the-Power-BI-Forum/ba-...

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

Hi ImkeF,

Here's a sample of my dataset. Sorry for the format but it won't let me reply if I include a table.

Date                  ID          PunchInDate     PunchOutDate      PunchInTime                      PunchOutTime 

8/13/2020       3580         8/14/2020         8/14/2020        8/14/2020 6:01:00 AM     8/14/2020 2:01:00 PM

8/13/2020       3580         8/13/2020         8/14/2020        8/13/2020 9:49:00 PM     8/14/2020 6:00:00 AM

I  ended up creating 2 Custom Columns using the following formulas:

Shift duration (PunchInTime):

Duration.Hours(Date.EndOfDay([PunchInTime])-[PunchInTime])

Shift duration (punchOutTime):

Duration.Hours([PunchOutTime]-Date.StartOfDay([PunchOutTime]))

And created a third one to  select the right date:

if [PunchInDate]<>[PunchOutDate] and
[#"Shift duration (PunchInTime)"]>[#"Shift duration (punchOutTime)"]
then [PunchInDate] else
[#"Shift duration (PunchInTime)"]<[#"Shift duration (punchOutTime)"]
then [PunchOutDate] else
[PunchInDate]

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @MBisceglia ,
you can use Date.EndOfDay  function to calculate duration with regards to PunchInTime and StartOfDay accordingly.
If you need help with this, please provide sample data like described here: 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-provide-sample-data-in-the-Power-BI-Forum/ba-...

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Hi ImkeF,

Here's a sample of my dataset. Sorry for the format but it won't let me reply if I include a table.

Date                  ID          PunchInDate     PunchOutDate      PunchInTime                      PunchOutTime 

8/13/2020       3580         8/14/2020         8/14/2020        8/14/2020 6:01:00 AM     8/14/2020 2:01:00 PM

8/13/2020       3580         8/13/2020         8/14/2020        8/13/2020 9:49:00 PM     8/14/2020 6:00:00 AM

I  ended up creating 2 Custom Columns using the following formulas:

Shift duration (PunchInTime):

Duration.Hours(Date.EndOfDay([PunchInTime])-[PunchInTime])

Shift duration (punchOutTime):

Duration.Hours([PunchOutTime]-Date.StartOfDay([PunchOutTime]))

And created a third one to  select the right date:

[#"Shift duration (PunchInTime)"]>[#"Shift duration (punchOutTime)"]
then [PunchInDate] else
[#"Shift duration (PunchInTime)"]<[#"Shift duration (punchOutTime)"]
then [PunchOutDate] else
[PunchInDate]

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors