Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

On-premise Gateway - cannot connect to Excel file

I have problems connecting to an Excel file. Using 'Add data source' I can add the file and I get the message 'Connected'. But when I want to set a scheduled refresh I get a message saying that the Gateway is not correctly configured. Opening the error message, the excel file path  is wrong and I get an option to add it to the Gateway. Doing so renders yet anothar error message saying "

Unable to connect: We encountered an error while trying to connect to . Details: "We could not register this data source for any gateway instances within this cluster. Please find more details below about specific errors for each gateway instance."Hide details

Activity ID:bd2b71ae-4ec6-4ef8-a493-be1a9b9a3af5
Request ID:2c61c736-98db-16fa-1db4-d1d46a2a4995
Cluster URI:https://wabi-europe-north-b-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Status code:400
Error Code:DMTS_PublishDatasourceToClusterErrorCode
Time:Thu Jan 31 2019 11:48:57 GMT+0100 (Västeuropa, normaltid)
Version:13.0.8162.174
PowerBI Gateway SC:Unable to connect to the data source undefined.
Underlying error code:-2147467259
Underlying error message:Det gick inte att hitta en del av sökvägen g:\inköp_lager_logistik\inköp\restorder\restordersc.xlsx.
DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult:-2147467259
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Reason:DataSource.Error

" where the underlaying error message says "Could not find part of the path"

The file is located on our file server and the gateway is installed on my win7 machine.

I have tried everything I can think of, so any help would be really appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

Does your dataset only contain the Excel data source? If so, please make sure that you are using same file path in Power BI Desktop and in Power BI gateway when connecting to the Excel file. You can go to File -> Options and settings ->Data source settings in Power BI Desktop to find the file path.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Lydia, and thanks for your interest.

The Dataset contains two Excel and one SQL Server data sources.BI1.PNG

And the path is Identical between the PowerBI Desktop and Power BI Gateway.

Power BI desktop:

BI2.PNG

Power BI Gateway:

BI3.PNG

I was worried about the special Swedish characters and moved the files to another location without any special characters, but got the same result so I reverted back to the original path again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I could really need some help here.... Does anyone have experience with connecting a Gateway to a local Excel file?

@Anonymous,

What is the version of your gateway? What username format do you use when adding Excel data source? Do you get error message when adding both excel files?

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yuezhe-msft

Version 3000.0.265

Username format is Domain/windows AD UserName

Yes, both Excel files renders an error message.

When I get the error message and click on 'Add to gateway' I can configure it without any problem, but as soon as I try to refresh the data I get the error message.

Does it matter that I created the report locally on my PC with PowerBI Desktop, and then published it to PowerBI.com?

@Anonymous ,

Is there any possibility that you upload the Excel to OneDrive?

Regards,
Lydia

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yuezhe-msft I am not sure what you mean. Do you want me to upload it to oneDrive, or are you asking me to try to upload it to oneDrive? In both cases the answer is no, the files must reside where they are, since they are being used by other people too.

I have opened a case at my firewall department, to see if they can see something, and I will also install a personal Gateway instead of the On-premise Gateway, just to test. I'll come back with the result.

Hello, am having the same issue. Did you ever get this figured out? Would love to know your solution. Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors