Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MBisceglia
Frequent Visitor

Getting the date that has most of the work shift

Hi everyone!

I have a real problem here. I have a dataset with pieces of work that have 2 fields: "PunchInTime" and "PunchOutTime". My problem is that I need to group these by the date that has most of the work shift. For instance, if an employee started working on 8/13 at 9 PM until 8/14 6 AM is going to be 8/14 instead of 8/13 since 6 hours of the shift falls into 8/14 (Please look below). I would like to add this as a step in my query in the query editor. Does anyone know how to do this? Capture19.PNG

Any help will be highly appreciated, Thanks!

Michelle

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @MBisceglia ,
you can use Date.EndOfDay  function to calculate duration with regards to PunchInTime and StartOfDay accordingly.
If you need help with this, please provide sample data like described here: 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-provide-sample-data-in-the-Power-BI-Forum/ba-...

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

Hi ImkeF,

Here's a sample of my dataset. Sorry for the format but it won't let me reply if I include a table.

Date                  ID          PunchInDate     PunchOutDate      PunchInTime                      PunchOutTime 

8/13/2020       3580         8/14/2020         8/14/2020        8/14/2020 6:01:00 AM     8/14/2020 2:01:00 PM

8/13/2020       3580         8/13/2020         8/14/2020        8/13/2020 9:49:00 PM     8/14/2020 6:00:00 AM

I  ended up creating 2 Custom Columns using the following formulas:

Shift duration (PunchInTime):

Duration.Hours(Date.EndOfDay([PunchInTime])-[PunchInTime])

Shift duration (punchOutTime):

Duration.Hours([PunchOutTime]-Date.StartOfDay([PunchOutTime]))

And created a third one to  select the right date:

if [PunchInDate]<>[PunchOutDate] and
[#"Shift duration (PunchInTime)"]>[#"Shift duration (punchOutTime)"]
then [PunchInDate] else
[#"Shift duration (PunchInTime)"]<[#"Shift duration (punchOutTime)"]
then [PunchOutDate] else
[PunchInDate]

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @MBisceglia ,
you can use Date.EndOfDay  function to calculate duration with regards to PunchInTime and StartOfDay accordingly.
If you need help with this, please provide sample data like described here: 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-provide-sample-data-in-the-Power-BI-Forum/ba-...

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Hi ImkeF,

Here's a sample of my dataset. Sorry for the format but it won't let me reply if I include a table.

Date                  ID          PunchInDate     PunchOutDate      PunchInTime                      PunchOutTime 

8/13/2020       3580         8/14/2020         8/14/2020        8/14/2020 6:01:00 AM     8/14/2020 2:01:00 PM

8/13/2020       3580         8/13/2020         8/14/2020        8/13/2020 9:49:00 PM     8/14/2020 6:00:00 AM

I  ended up creating 2 Custom Columns using the following formulas:

Shift duration (PunchInTime):

Duration.Hours(Date.EndOfDay([PunchInTime])-[PunchInTime])

Shift duration (punchOutTime):

Duration.Hours([PunchOutTime]-Date.StartOfDay([PunchOutTime]))

And created a third one to  select the right date:

[#"Shift duration (PunchInTime)"]>[#"Shift duration (punchOutTime)"]
then [PunchInDate] else
[#"Shift duration (PunchInTime)"]<[#"Shift duration (punchOutTime)"]
then [PunchOutDate] else
[PunchInDate]

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors