Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

cannot summarize number field

Hello,

I created a star model in SSAS using SSDT. When I connect to SSAS using PowerBI Desktop I can't add the number fields to the values of i.e. a pivot table. The Sigma sign is missing so PBI does not recognize the field as a number.

However, when i go check te properties of the field in VS everything seems to be in order:

Propertiesof the fieldPropertiesof the field

The result in PowerBI:

afbeelding.png

The SSAS instance is set to Tabular on SQL 2019. Compatiabilty is set to 1500.

I'm at a total loss, please help.

Edit: I forgot to mention that using the field in a cumstom measure works just fine. I just don't wont to create duplicates of all my number fields just so I can sum them.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I Solved the issue by removing the project from my sollution and creating a new project.  I was able to quickly create this project because most of the ETL was done in SSIS.

Unfortunately, I was unable to determine the cause of this issue.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Piquet65
Frequent Visitor

Have the same probl;em that has cropped up in our Tabular 2019 model - all numeric fields now no longer aggregate & do not have the Sigma icon next to them in Power BI fields list.

Have deployed this tabular model to 2x environments (Dev & Test environments) with the same issue.

Browsing the model using SSMS (latest version) also exhibits the behaviour - i.e. numeric fields instead of summing act like dimensional attributes, showing each distinct value in a table (for example). Browsing the model using SSMS also exhibits this unwanted behaviour. 

We have no idea what caused this issue - previously the model was functioning correctly. Looks like we'll need to rebuild the Tabular model from scratch (as per the suggested solution/workaround) - perhaps we will discover what caused the problem as part of that exercise...

I found the cause of this issue: Calculation Groups.

We added a Calculation Group to the model (for Time Intelligence functions such as YTD, etc) and a side-effect of adding a calculation group is that it sets the model level property "Discourage implicit measures" to TRUE (see Solved: Tabular Editor - Calculation groups - Microsoft Power BI Community).

This "hidden" model property (not exposed in SSDT) essentially removes the Sigma icon from all numeric fields and they are from that point treated as dimensional attributes, i.e. instead of a "Sales Amount" field showing Sum(Sales Amount) in Power BI a list of DISTINCT(Sales Amount) values is shown instead.

Removing the Calculation Group from the model does not revert back to teh previous behaviour ([Discourage implicit measures] remains set to TRUE). In order to revert back to the behaviour prior to adding a Calculation Group, edit the model.bim file directly (i.e. the JSON), find the "discourage..." property and change it from TRUE to FALSE.

A WARNING message in SSDT when creating a Calculation Group regarding this side-effect would be a good idea - as would exposing this model-level property in SSDT so that it can be modified (or at least viewed).

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same issue and this solved it, thanks a lot!

This is the right awnser here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I Solved the issue by removing the project from my sollution and creating a new project.  I was able to quickly create this project because most of the ETL was done in SSIS.

Unfortunately, I was unable to determine the cause of this issue.

v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I have test it in my environment,It works well. I really can't reproduce your issue. Would you please show us what's the column data type shown in Power BI desktop? And would you please try to use the latest version of Power BI desktop to connect to it?

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , I think I saw some also complained about no summarization.

Can you check and log a ticket at : https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.