Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorting the Numbers in Text format

HI All,

I need help in sortign this issue. I have a numbers which in a text format in a string , which I want to sort in the Asc- desc.

I did the sorting, but 10X comes before 2X, i want to have 1X, 2X, in a ASC order.

I tried this formula from the post by did not work in my case :https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Number-sorting-in-text-format/td-p/237256

@MFelix 

Thanks,

Tejaswi

My data looks like this:

10X10 TYPE 1 POLY 
10X12 .001 STD 
10X8X24 .002 LOW 
1-1/2X2 .002 C
11-1/2X6-1/2X21-1/2 .00050 WHT 
28X32 .004 LOW 
29x29x42 3mil
2X10 .002 CLEAR LOW DENSITY
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous 

You can make another table (sorting) and make a relationship with previous table on the basis of status like
Screenshot (45).png

and put the status into the axis ex:
1. my previous visual
Screenshot (42).png

2. after sorting with visual it gives me like:

after sortingafter sorting

Thanks
If this helps and resolves the issue, appreciate a Kudos and mark it as a Solution! 🙂

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , You make have to use

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/list-sort

list.sort({[col1]})

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @amitchandak ,

Thanks for your reply!

I had tried this option.. But still it doesn't sort.

Attachig my file for your refernce.

Thanks,

Tejaswi

@Anonymous is this what you are looking for?

image.png

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@Anonymous see attached, check logic in Power Query, you can tweak the logic on your larger dataset but this one is tested on this smaller dataset, I assume this will give you an idea and get started. Cheers!!

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @parry2k 

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @parry2k ,

Yes .. Can you share what you did to make it sort ?

Thanks,

Tejaswi

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.