Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorting the Numbers in Text format

HI All,

I need help in sortign this issue. I have a numbers which in a text format in a string , which I want to sort in the Asc- desc.

I did the sorting, but 10X comes before 2X, i want to have 1X, 2X, in a ASC order.

I tried this formula from the post by did not work in my case :https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Number-sorting-in-text-format/td-p/237256

@MFelix 

Thanks,

Tejaswi

My data looks like this:

10X10 TYPE 1 POLY 
10X12 .001 STD 
10X8X24 .002 LOW 
1-1/2X2 .002 C
11-1/2X6-1/2X21-1/2 .00050 WHT 
28X32 .004 LOW 
29x29x42 3mil
2X10 .002 CLEAR LOW DENSITY
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous 

You can make another table (sorting) and make a relationship with previous table on the basis of status like
Screenshot (45).png

and put the status into the axis ex:
1. my previous visual
Screenshot (42).png

2. after sorting with visual it gives me like:

after sortingafter sorting

Thanks
If this helps and resolves the issue, appreciate a Kudos and mark it as a Solution! 🙂

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , You make have to use

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/list-sort

list.sort({[col1]})

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @amitchandak ,

Thanks for your reply!

I had tried this option.. But still it doesn't sort.

Attachig my file for your refernce.

Thanks,

Tejaswi

@Anonymous is this what you are looking for?

image.png

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@Anonymous see attached, check logic in Power Query, you can tweak the logic on your larger dataset but this one is tested on this smaller dataset, I assume this will give you an idea and get started. Cheers!!

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @parry2k 

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @parry2k ,

Yes .. Can you share what you did to make it sort ?

Thanks,

Tejaswi

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.