Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

pperumal
Frequent Visitor

Pass slicer filter to the SQL Server DB - Direct Query Mode

Hi,

Is it possible to pass the slicer value from power BI as a parameter to a SQL stored procedure ?

Thanks in Advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pperumal 

You may try the method introduced in this blog: Chris Webb's BI Blog: TSQL Table-Valued Functions And Dynamic M Parameters In Power BI DirectQuery

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it. Highly appreciate your Kudos!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pperumal 

You may try the method introduced in this blog: Chris Webb's BI Blog: TSQL Table-Valued Functions And Dynamic M Parameters In Power BI DirectQuery

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it. Highly appreciate your Kudos!

Note the article says "You can only hard-code the values you pass to the function’s parameters at this point...."

That might be useful for parameter values like days of the week or months, but if you're using a slicer for date ranges, names, or anything dynamic this solution isn't really practical.

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @pperumal , the feature you are looking for is called dynamic M query parameters for direct query: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-dynamic-m-query-parameters?WT.mc_id=...

Hopefully, this provides what you are looking for.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
gzsedely
Frequent Visitor

This could also be the input parameter of the stored procedure!

For example, in the SQL script of the SQL server connector!

Hey @gzsedely ,

I do not think that direct query is supporting calling stored procedures.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Indeed, you are right!

How do i pass the slicer filters as a input parameter to the stored procedure in the Direct Query. Could you please share any blog or notes available.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.