Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

FatherTheWizard
Resolver I
Resolver I

If column value on a row contains x then do y else do z

Hi,

I have a table where I have the below info:

DateEmployeeEmployment typeFTE hours
1.1.20191Hourly160
1.1.20192Fixed160
1.1.20193Fixed160

- I would like to have DAX where it SUMs [FTE hours] for [Employment type] = "Fixed" and uses Measure X for [Employment type] ="Hourly"

I have tried IF CONTAINS but I guess it checks and decides TRUE or FALSE for the whole column and I would like the TRUE/FALSE test on each row.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hi, @FatherTheWizard 

This looks like a measure totals problem. Very common. See this post about it here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/DAX-Commands-and-Tips/Dealing-with-Measure-Totals/td-p/63376

Also, this Quick Measure, Measure Totals, The Final Word should get you what you need:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Measure-Totals-The-Final-Word/m-p/547907

and for your case, you try this formula based on the _measure

Result = 
var _table=SUMMARIZE(Table1,Table1[Employee],Table1[Employment type],"_total",[_measure]) return
SUMX(_table,[_total])

Result:

6.JPG7.JPG

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
yelsherif
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

You can create a measure like:

_measure = if(selectedvalue(Table1[Employment Type])="Fixed", calculate(sum(Table1[FTE hours]), ALLSELECTED(Table1)), [Measure X])

Thanks @yelsherif , I got closer.

I think we cannot use ALLSELECTED here because the monthly figures are now shown in a wrong way between different months?

Without ALLSELECTED part of the formula the results were close but I noticed that when I individually filteres Hourly workers I got the correct answer for those employees but when I filtered both Hourly and Fixed workers it calculated according to Fixed workers way and the total was not correct (=the hourly worker part of the formula was not applied anymore).

@yelsherif 

If I elaborate the use case a bit.

As slicer filters on the report page I am using for example time (months) and also employment type (hourly, fixed). This way users can observe results based on time and based on employment types. Your current suggestion unfortunately did not work through time and when selecting only one of the employment types, I got different results compared to when selecting both of them at the same time (separate sums were not the sum I got when selecting both from slicer).

hi, @FatherTheWizard 

This looks like a measure totals problem. Very common. See this post about it here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/DAX-Commands-and-Tips/Dealing-with-Measure-Totals/td-p/63376

Also, this Quick Measure, Measure Totals, The Final Word should get you what you need:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Measure-Totals-The-Final-Word/m-p/547907

and for your case, you try this formula based on the _measure

Result = 
var _table=SUMMARIZE(Table1,Table1[Employee],Table1[Employment type],"_total",[_measure]) return
SUMX(_table,[_total])

Result:

6.JPG7.JPG

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.