Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Making null a zero when using 'Count' of a column

Hi All!

What I am trying to achieve as an end goal is a line chart where the nulls are treated as zeros so lines remail consitant.

I unfortunatley can not show the data I am working with, as it is company data.

Overview:

I have a lot of data consititng of the export of a specific mailbox. My main activity is measuring the occurances of specific subject lines in the data.

I have managed to get it showing me the top 10 most received emails by subject, however, I want trend graphs for this data based on count per month of said subjects.

The issue is that if there are no instances of the specific subject it of course is null, and I need it to be zero so line doesent just stop on the line graph, but drops to zero. 

Again apologies for the lack of data, here is an attempt at simulated data.

Month Subject

JanOranges
JanApples
JanOranges
JanApples
JanGrape
JanGrape
FebOranges
FebApples
FebApples
FebOranges
FebApples
FebOranges
FebGrape
MarApples
MarOranges
MarOranges
MarApples
MarOranges

As you can see the 'Grape' subject does not appear in march. This obviously represents a null for 'Grape' in march when using count. What I want is for the lack of said subject to be represented by zero and not null so the line graph doesnt just stop lines 'mid air' 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous ,

Create a Month dimension table which is linked to fact data table based on [Month] field.

Month dimension = VALUES(Table7[Month])

1.PNG2.PNG

Add [Subject] into chart legend. Add below measure to line chart rather than using Count for Subject column.

Countvalue = COUNT(Table7[Subject])+0

3.PNG

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous ,

Create a Month dimension table which is linked to fact data table based on [Month] field.

Month dimension = VALUES(Table7[Month])

1.PNG2.PNG

Add [Subject] into chart legend. Add below measure to line chart rather than using Count for Subject column.

Countvalue = COUNT(Table7[Subject])+0

3.PNG

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

In general, you use a line like this in your measure:

Measure =

RETURN
IF(ISBLANK(__var),0,__var)

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the input! trouble is I am not using a measure, I am using the count [Column] in the vizulaization editor.

I am happy to write a measure to do this, however, the top subjects will change as more data is added, or as date slicers are applied, so I cant make subject specific measures.

Kind Regards

Matt

Can you give me a sense of your data? Just make up data that emulates your real data using "apple", "orange" or "foo" and "bar", etc.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi!

Thanks for looking at this. I have posted a very small dataset as an exmple in the body of the message. Also a small extra bit to try and help explain. 

Kind Regards

Matt

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.