Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Shahzz77
Frequent Visitor

copying report from one workspace to other workspace with dataset

i am trying to copy my report along with the dataset from one workspace to other. when i copy the report the dataset will not get copied it will only get linked to the original workspace. Is there any way to copy the dataset as well .

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Shahzz77
Frequent Visitor

I found the best way to do it download the Power BI helper tool by rezacad . Its a user freindly tool which solves all the problems . Copying and downloading of whole worksapce is easier in one click.Kudos to Rezacad

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Shahzz77
Frequent Visitor

I found the best way to do it download the Power BI helper tool by rezacad . Its a user freindly tool which solves all the problems . Copying and downloading of whole worksapce is easier in one click.Kudos to Rezacad

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Shahzz77 ,

Has your problem been solved, if so, please consider Accept a correct reply as the solution or share your own solution to help others find it.

Best Regards
Lucien

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Shahzz77 ,

The best way I think is to download the pbix filie ,then publish to another workspace.

refer:https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/save-a-copy-No-linked-dataset-show-in-target-workspace/m-p/... 

Best Regards

Lucien

mussaenda
Super User
Super User

Hi @Shahzz77 ,

Copying a report from one workspace to another workspace does not copy the dataset. Only the report.

If you really need to duplicate the report and the dataset to another workspace, my idea is to download the report and upload on your desired workspace. In that case, the dataset is also copied.

But sorry to ask, may I know why you want to duplicate a dataset on a different workspace instead of the report only?

Hope this helps.

the reason behind this is giving acess to the workspace to other person. if 20 reports are lying in one workspace and thier respective dataset are in other workspaces then i have to give acess to all the workspaces which are related. its a tedious task.

in my case i have 50 workspace.

Shahzz77
Frequent Visitor

No tom martens.

I want to copy the report from one workspace to another.

ex : i have 10 reports published in workspace 1. Now i want to keep a copy of reports in workspace 2. So what il do is ill copy and paste the report from workspace 1 to workspace 2. 

Here comes the problem now, after copying in workspace 2 only report gets copies not the dataset, the dataset will be linked to workspace 1. If i want to give the access to anyone i have to give the access of both the workspaces.

Hey @Shahzz77 ,

users that have been assigned a role in workspace 2 do not need a role assignment in workspace 1. They just read permission on the dataset in workspace 1. It's also necessary to understand that the dataset permission does not affect Row Level Security.

Maybe you find my answer in this thread helpful: Re: Editing Multiple Reports with same models - Microsoft Power BI Community

Basically, it's not considered a best practice to copy the same dataset to different datasets.

Hopefully, this helps to tackle your challenge.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Shahzz77 ,

I'm wondering if you are looking for this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/service-export-to-pbix

Hopefully, this is what you are looking for.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors