Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dweir002
Frequent Visitor

Workspace vs App Security

Hello, I would like to give users access to just the App while keeping them out of the workspace.  Is that possible?  Everytime I remove them from the workspace (but keep them as having app access) they can get into the app but not see anything.  When I give them access to the workspace it works, but I don't want them there. 

I also made sure that the app has access to both the dashboard and the workbook...

Any help is appreciated.  thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @dweir002,

Congratulations, you find the solution by yourself. Please mark your reply as answer, so more people will get useful information from here.

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
andres777
Advocate III
Advocate III

Workspaces vs PowerBI App...
My Power BI Analogy : think of it as when you visit a restaurant...
  Workspace     = Kitchen Area (messy, not pretty, very loud... where developers work)
  Power BI App = Restaurant Sitting Area (Pretty, safe, good music, better experience to consume the final product)

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @dweir002,

After research, it's impossible. To create an app, you first need to create an app workspace. The workspace is the staging area for an app and serves as the container for the content in the app. You will be able to add other collaborators and admins to these workspaces. Once you add all the content, you will publish the app to end users.

You can share the dashboard or report to the users outside the workspace. More details, please follow the steps of this articles: Share your Power BI dashboards with coworkers and others and Share Power BI reports with your coworkers.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Thanks for your help.  I found the issue, I was playing around with the row level security and that was the reason the users could not see my content. 

Hi @dweir002,

Congratulations, you find the solution by yourself. Please mark your reply as answer, so more people will get useful information from here.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors