Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

monikamishra
Frequent Visitor

Unable to export powerbi report from Power BI workspace

I am trying to export power bi report from workspace. The report was created by me in powerbi desktop and I uploaded it to the workspace. I am getting the below errorwhen trying to export.

monikamishra_0-1628108067558.png

What's the root cause of the issue and how to fix it ?

7 REPLIES 7
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @monikamishra ,

Please check these:

There are a few important considerations and limitations associated with downloading (exporting) a .pbix file from Power BI service.

• To download the file, you must have edit access to the report
  • The report must have been created using Power BI Desktop and been published to the Power BI service, or the .pbix must have been uploaded to the service.
  • This feature will not work with reports originally created in the Power BI service, including content packs.
  • You should always be using the latest version of Power BI Desktop when opening downloaded files. Downloaded .pbix files may not open in non-current versions of Power BI Desktop.
  • If your administrator has turned off the ability to export data, this feature will not be visible in the Power BI service.
  • Dataset with incremental refresh can't be downloaded to a .pbix file.
  • Sometime this happen due to network bottleneck, would suggest to try downloading different time and see it it work.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-export-to-pbix

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yangliu-msft , 

None of the points mentioned by you is applicable for my report.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @monikamishra 

It would appear that you created this report in the Power BI Service as per your link?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @monikamishra 

Did you edit the report at all in the Power BI Service?

Or I do think if it is a composite model it cannot be downloaded?

If you have got the PBIX could I ask why you are trying to export it?

Power BI Blog

No editing of the report in Power BI Service.

It's not a composite model. The model is created in SSAS which is based on a database.  We have hosted this SSAS model in PowerBI premium workspace (this is something which we have done new). The report connects to this model 

monikamishra_0-1628116881646.png

If someone else wants to work in the report, they could easily download from the workspace. I know I can keep it somewhere else in the cloud and share. But I want to know why it's not downloadable.

Hi @monikamishra 

I tried exactly the same steps as to what you have explain on my PPU tenant and I also cannot download the pbix file.

I think that this is a current limitation. And you have to have the PBIX file locally.

You can vote for the idea on https://ideas.powerbi.com

Power BI Blog

Thanks @GilbertQ for checking. Could you refer to this MS document and check if your model satisfies any point -

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/service-export-to-pbix

I don't do data modelling so I am not sure if this issue is because of one of the reasons mentioned in this link or is it a general error.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors