Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

monikamishra
Frequent Visitor

Unable to export powerbi report from Power BI workspace

I am trying to export power bi report from workspace. The report was created by me in powerbi desktop and I uploaded it to the workspace. I am getting the below errorwhen trying to export.

monikamishra_0-1628108067558.png

What's the root cause of the issue and how to fix it ?

7 REPLIES 7
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @monikamishra ,

Please check these:

There are a few important considerations and limitations associated with downloading (exporting) a .pbix file from Power BI service.

• To download the file, you must have edit access to the report
  • The report must have been created using Power BI Desktop and been published to the Power BI service, or the .pbix must have been uploaded to the service.
  • This feature will not work with reports originally created in the Power BI service, including content packs.
  • You should always be using the latest version of Power BI Desktop when opening downloaded files. Downloaded .pbix files may not open in non-current versions of Power BI Desktop.
  • If your administrator has turned off the ability to export data, this feature will not be visible in the Power BI service.
  • Dataset with incremental refresh can't be downloaded to a .pbix file.
  • Sometime this happen due to network bottleneck, would suggest to try downloading different time and see it it work.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-export-to-pbix

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yangliu-msft , 

None of the points mentioned by you is applicable for my report.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @monikamishra 

It would appear that you created this report in the Power BI Service as per your link?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @monikamishra 

Did you edit the report at all in the Power BI Service?

Or I do think if it is a composite model it cannot be downloaded?

If you have got the PBIX could I ask why you are trying to export it?

Power BI Blog

No editing of the report in Power BI Service.

It's not a composite model. The model is created in SSAS which is based on a database.  We have hosted this SSAS model in PowerBI premium workspace (this is something which we have done new). The report connects to this model 

monikamishra_0-1628116881646.png

If someone else wants to work in the report, they could easily download from the workspace. I know I can keep it somewhere else in the cloud and share. But I want to know why it's not downloadable.

Hi @monikamishra 

I tried exactly the same steps as to what you have explain on my PPU tenant and I also cannot download the pbix file.

I think that this is a current limitation. And you have to have the PBIX file locally.

You can vote for the idea on https://ideas.powerbi.com

Power BI Blog

Thanks @GilbertQ for checking. Could you refer to this MS document and check if your model satisfies any point -

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/service-export-to-pbix

I don't do data modelling so I am not sure if this issue is because of one of the reasons mentioned in this link or is it a general error.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors