Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mow700
Resolver I
Resolver I

Trouble avoiding gateway installations for scheduled refreshes

Hey community, I'm having some trouble configuring my datasets to use the Gateway connection = Connect directly setting.

My requirements specify I need to avoid using a gateway unless the dependency is definitely required.  I'm using Get Data > Web to retrieve my data from public websites using anonymous authentication.

My report has been refreshing for some time as expected using the following connection:

let
    Source = Xml.Tables(Web.Contents("http://www.astrology.com/us/offsite/rss/daily-horoscope.aspx")),

Today I added a new dataset, again using Get Data > Web to retrieve my data.  After publishing my changes, I am unable to refresh the dataset from the web service, I receive an error stating that a gateway is required.  This is the new connection, it's syntax is similar but not identical:

let
    Source = Web.Page(Web.Contents("http://www.rssweather.com/wx/us/wa/cottage%20lake/wx.php")),

I removed the new dataset and republished, refresh works again as expected.  Scratching my head, I created 2 simple repro .pbix files to demonstrate the problem.  Here is a look at the dataset settings pages for both:

snip_20170921115824.png

Have any of you overcome problems like these and willing to offer suggested approaches to avoid the gateway?

Anyone have a point to the features / limitations of Dataset.Settings.Gateway connection = Connect directly?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mow700,

You can see Note from here

If you are using the Web.Page function, you do need a gateway if you have republished the dataset or your report after November 18th, 2016.

In your scenario, you need to install the on-premise data gateway then add web data source use the same web URL as you specified in Power BI desktop.

q3.PNGq2.PNG

Or you can install the on-premise data gateway personal mode. Let the dataset use this kind of gateway. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
mow700
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hey community, I'm having some trouble configuring my datasets to use the Gateway connection = Connect directly setting.

My requirements specify I need to avoid using a gateway unless the dependency is definitely required.  I'm using Get Data > Web to retrieve my data from public websites using anonymous authentication.

My report has been refreshing for some time as expected using the following connection:

let
    Source = Xml.Tables(Web.Contents("http://www.astrology.com/us/offsite/rss/daily-horoscope.aspx")),

Today I added a new dataset, again using Get Data > Web to retrieve my data.  After publishing my changes, I am unable to refresh the dataset from the web service, I receive an error stating that a gateway is required.  This is the new connection, it's syntax is similar but not identical:

let
    Source = Web.Page(Web.Contents("http://www.rssweather.com/wx/us/wa/cottage%20lake/wx.php")),

I removed the new dataset and republished, refresh works again as expected.  Scratching my head, I created 2 simple repro .pbix files to demonstrate the problem.  Here is a look at the dataset settings pages for both:

snip_20170921115824.png

Have any of you overcome problems like these and willing to offer suggested approaches to avoid the gateway?

Anyone have a point to the features / limitations of Dataset.Settings.Gateway connection = Connect directly?

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mow700,

You can see Note from here

If you are using the Web.Page function, you do need a gateway if you have republished the dataset or your report after November 18th, 2016.

In your scenario, you need to install the on-premise data gateway then add web data source use the same web URL as you specified in Power BI desktop.

q3.PNGq2.PNG

Or you can install the on-premise data gateway personal mode. Let the dataset use this kind of gateway. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors