Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Schedule Refresh failed after gateway connection testing

1) I have created PBI report which database server is the source , we have specific table in DB from where i'm getting the input 

2) Inorder to set up schedule refresh i have setup  gateway connection (with system account) and tried to test with some timeframe , when i checked at that timeframe , i got below error 

Here , my database name "Cycle_ID"(I have my table in it , from where i imported data into PBI ) but not "CycleDB", 

as we see in errror , it throws error on "i do not have access for "CycleDB" (though i don't use it ) 

"Last refresh failed: Mon Aug 31 2020 16:35:30 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
There was an error when processing the data in the dataset.Hide details
Data source error: {"error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError","pbi.error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_MashupDataAccessError","parameters":{},"details":[{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingErrorCode","detail":{"type":1,"value":"-2147467259"}},{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingErrorMessage","detail":{"type":1,"value":"Microsoft SQL: The server principal \"system_account_name\" is not able to access the database \"CycleDB\" under the current security context."}},{"code":"DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult","detail":{"type":1,"value":"-2147467259"}},{"code":"Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Class","detail":{"type":1,"value":"14"}},{"code":"Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.DataSourceKind","detail":{"type":1,"value":"SQL"}},{"code":"Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.DataSourcePath","detail":{"type":1,"value":"<server_name>.com;Cycle_ID"}},{"code":"Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Message","detail":{"type":1,"value":"The server principal \"system_account_name\" is not able to access the database \"CycleDB\" under the current security context."}},{"code":"Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Number","detail":{"type":1,"value":"916"}},{"code":"Microsoft.Data.Mashup.ValueError.Reason","detail":{"type":1,"value":"DataSource.Error"}}],"exceptionCulprit":1}}} Table: BackupReviewerTSOID."

here my main question is , why it shows error that says, "The server principal \"system_account_name\" is not able to access the database \"CycleDB\" under the current security context."}},"  , though i don't use it in my report query ?

7 REPLIES 7
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

It appears that the account you used in the data source in the Gateway cannot be a local system account. It would have to be a domain account that has got access to the underlying database.

Or you could create and use a SQL Server account.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GilbertQ , are you suggesting to use service account instaed of system account ?

Hi there

If you could use a Domain / Service account that can query the database?

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

i believe so , cause when i requested for system account , other team provided the username and it's related password 

The account should be able to be used from the Gateway Server to the database server.

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GilbertQ yes, the account currently i'm using from gateway server to database , but as i shown in my main post , it thrown error says, can not able to access the DB (which i don't use for my main report query ) 

Hi there

I would then work with your network/dba admin to see why the account is not working when connecting from the Gateway server to the DB?

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors