Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jrscaletta
Helper II
Helper II

PowerBI Gateway - Can't save path/sql changes

Hi all.

I deployed a BI REPORT. Before, I configured on the real environment a PowerBI Data Gateway. It's "EMBGATEWAY".

Then, when I try to configure the data sources to relink to the correct path, or the SQL Server on the production environment, I can't. When I use the link "Agregar a la puerta de enlace", I change the config and it's link OK, but never update in this option:

BI1.PNG

How can I do?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi , @jrscaletta 

If you want to  change the source of datasource in service ,you must  modify datasource of original pbix file on desktop and then republish it first.  So that  the source in your model will match the source in the gateway .

Please  follow these steps:

1.Copy a new original desktop pbix file and modify theDataSource Settings

Transform Data ->Datasource Settings ->change source ,then enter new servername:portname and database name.

21.png

2. Edit the new datasource credentials and  apply changes.

22.png

You will refresh the report with the new data source data if the data source is successfully switched.

Otherwise, please compare whether the table structure has been changed in the newdata source, which may cause conflicts between the original fields in the model and the fields in the new data source.

3. publish the new pbix file to service 

4.Settings->Datasets->gateway connection-> select "EMBGATEWAY"

You will find  that the datasource name will be changed from SqlServer{"server:"localhost\\rac...........""}  to the SqlServer{"server:"newservername","new database"}

24.png

If you have  already added  new datasource "SQL" to gateway in "Manage gateway ", you will be allowed to  map  to the  corresponding data source.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jrscaletta
Helper II
Helper II

Thanks for your replies.

My problem is that I can't change the source of the datasource. When I add new Datasources (client side) to my gateway, it detects OK:

SQL datasource on the customer side connects OK:

See that server is: SERVER01

Bi2.png

Files also connects OK,

BI3.png

Then, on the datasource of the reports, I want to change from my original config (on development in my pc), to the data sources on customer side:

I tried too with Personal Gateway, but is not OK for me, because in my development computer, my SQL/files is in different paths. In example:
DEVELOPMENT:

-SQL: LOCALHOST\rac

-FILE1: C:\Google Drive\User1\File1.xlsx

CUSTOMER SIDE:

-SQL: SERVER01

-FILE1: C:\BI\File1.xlsx

In fact.. my question is:

How can I change this?

BI4.png

Thanks.

Hi , @jrscaletta 

If you want to  change the source of datasource in service ,you must  modify datasource of original pbix file on desktop and then republish it first.  So that  the source in your model will match the source in the gateway .

Please  follow these steps:

1.Copy a new original desktop pbix file and modify theDataSource Settings

Transform Data ->Datasource Settings ->change source ,then enter new servername:portname and database name.

21.png

2. Edit the new datasource credentials and  apply changes.

22.png

You will refresh the report with the new data source data if the data source is successfully switched.

Otherwise, please compare whether the table structure has been changed in the newdata source, which may cause conflicts between the original fields in the model and the fields in the new data source.

3. publish the new pbix file to service 

4.Settings->Datasets->gateway connection-> select "EMBGATEWAY"

You will find  that the datasource name will be changed from SqlServer{"server:"localhost\\rac...........""}  to the SqlServer{"server:"newservername","new database"}

24.png

If you have  already added  new datasource "SQL" to gateway in "Manage gateway ", you will be allowed to  map  to the  corresponding data source.

Best Regards,

v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @jrscaletta 

Please make sure that the data source path of the desktop is consistent with the data source path on the service.

It is recommended to republish the modified report from the desktop to the service, and re-add the data source to the gateway and  configure it.

Best Regards,

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

The SQL server connection is the least of your problems.  The gateway will have no idea what "Drive D"  is unless you are running a personal gateway on the same PC as where you store the files.

Try storing your files in the cloud (so no gateway is required) and add the SQL server connection to whichever gateway you want to use.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors