Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

KevinSGoff
Helper I
Helper I

Question on Power BI Embedded and Pricing

Hi,  hope this question makes sense.

My company has SQL 2016 Enterprise + Software assurance, so we currently deploy Power BI content "on-prem" using Power BI Report Server.    All good and clear on that one.

We now want to take a handful of visuals (refreshed daily or maybe once a hour through the gateway) and put them in the Cloud, so that we can embed them into ASP.NET web pages.  The data will still reside on-prem, though we'd refresh a few times a day.

I already did a prototype of this using Power BI Pro and it works  (I used the APP_OWNS_DATA Visual studio solution)

My question:  if we want to make our ASP.NET web pages available to our customers on our customer portal, I'm not certain what is the minimum we'd have to pay.  I have a web page from a year ago where the cost would be as little as a dollar an hour for an A1 node, 2 dollars an hour for an A2, node.     But I thought I had read somewhere recently that had changed.

So...my question...we have sql 2016 EE + SA internally.....what is the minimum we'd need to pay now to embed maybe 5-10 reports into an ASP.NET webpage for ourside users?

Thanks,
Kevin

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@KevinSGoff - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Power-BI-Licensing-in-Pictures-Updated/ba-p/1291304

My understanding is that Power BI Embedded is still $1/hour for an A1 instance.

Now, there is the Power BI EM SKU's. An EM1 is $650/month (flat monthly cost). So, my understanding is that would provide the correct licensing even for external users but please verify that with a Microsoft licensing expert!!

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks for replying, I will check that out.  (And I'll check out your DAX book)

Follow-up...I just noticed this:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/licensing-and-roadmap-update-for-power-bi-report-server/

Specifically, this: "We’ve recently updated our licensing terms to allow SQL Server Enterprise customers with software assurance to deploy Power BI Report Server on Azure VM’s for production use by leveraging their Azure Hybrid Benefit. "

That's what I've been wondering....we've been a purely on-prem shop, but want to move PBI to the cloud.  We already have SQL Enterprise + software assurance:  does "that" give us license to push PBI content up to the cloud and embed in  .NET apps for our customer base on the outside....without having to buy anything else?

Thanks,

Kevin

Hi @KevinSGoff ,

I guess you want to use Power BI Service, but the terms say Power BI Report Server.

Comparing Power BI Report Server and the Power BI service 

For Power BI Service, please refer to the following links.

Power BI service features by license type 

Power BI pricing( Pro VS Premium) 

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors