Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RahulMathew
Regular Visitor

Repeated Scheduled Refreshes are failing with the same error (429)

I have a dashboard that is used by manager and leads to take decisions on the daily capacity and resource planning. The scheduled refresh of this report keeps failing every single time with the below mentioned error. Whereas on PowerBI Desktop I am abe to do a manual refresh without any issues. 

Error Message: 

Failure details: Web.Contents failed to get contents from '<web link>' (429): Too Many Requests

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I wonder whether QuickBase requests made by different customers via the Power BI service are interpreted by QB as coming from the same source. Or it might just be because Power BI is trying to refresh your 5 tables in parallel. In the QB documentation I found this:

"Quickbase utilizes edge-layer protection with Cloudflare to ensure security and stability of the platform. Quickbase may return an HTTP error 429 in the case where an integrator is making too many requests in a period. Per the RFC spec, integrators should respect the 429 response code and the response header "Retry-After" that indicates how long the originator should wait before trying again."

My advice is to load a single table in a Power BI dataflow and see if it successfully refreshes (you can just copy and paste the query from Power BI Desktop to Power Query Online). If that dataflow does refresh, create other separate dataflows for your other tables sourced from QuickBase, and schedule their refresh at different times (or even better trying one refresh right after the previous one is completed using Power Automate). Then use the dataflows as the sources for your dataset.

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

It might be that the web server you're querying finds the web service to be more aggressive than when you refresh via Power BI Desktop. If you're paging/looping through Web.Contents calls, try using Function.InvokeAfter in your M code to throttle your queries:

https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2015/04/30/using-function-invokeafter-in-power-query/

BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

Thank you for the suggestion. I am very new to PowerBi and trying to get a hang of the different funcationalities available. The issue here is that I am getting data through a default API available on PowerBI for "Quickbase". So, there is no custom code that I have written for the data-pull. And I did try checking the M Code but this is what I found:

let
Source = QuickBase.Contents("https://companydomain.quickbase.com/db/dbname"),
xxxxxxxxxx= Source{[Key="xxxxxxxxxx"]}[Data],
#"98" = xxxxxxxxxx{[Key="98"]}[Data],
#"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"98",{{"Review By", "In-house SPOC"}})
in
#"Renamed Columns1"

And this is for just one table. I am importing close to 5 tables for all the computing that I have to make for the final dashboard. 

I wonder whether QuickBase requests made by different customers via the Power BI service are interpreted by QB as coming from the same source. Or it might just be because Power BI is trying to refresh your 5 tables in parallel. In the QB documentation I found this:

"Quickbase utilizes edge-layer protection with Cloudflare to ensure security and stability of the platform. Quickbase may return an HTTP error 429 in the case where an integrator is making too many requests in a period. Per the RFC spec, integrators should respect the 429 response code and the response header "Retry-After" that indicates how long the originator should wait before trying again."

My advice is to load a single table in a Power BI dataflow and see if it successfully refreshes (you can just copy and paste the query from Power BI Desktop to Power Query Online). If that dataflow does refresh, create other separate dataflows for your other tables sourced from QuickBase, and schedule their refresh at different times (or even better trying one refresh right after the previous one is completed using Power Automate). Then use the dataflows as the sources for your dataset.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors