Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

RafalMonka
Helper I
Helper I

Publishing of a report does not work

Hello everyone,

Can anyone explain why Power BI (Desktop or Service) behave this way?

1. Create new Report.pbix with connection live to the Power BI semantic model - let's call it "dsA" (already published in PBI Service).

2. Rebind published Report to another dataset/semantic model (let's call it "dsB") using API

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/reports/rebind-report-in-group

3. Download pbix file from PBI Service via menu command File/Download this file and open it in PBI Desktop.

RafalMonka_5-1707902415810.png

Here, there is a first strange thing. When you look at the bottom of screen the datasource still points to "dsA".

RafalMonka_2-1707901354856.png

4. I need to change it manually to "dsB" in menu Transform data/Data source setting.

Question 1. Why datasource is not changed in pbix file after rebinding the report?

5. Then I save report as Report.pbip (i.e. project file) and make some modifications in layout.

6. I publish the report again. At first everything looks good, and I get the warning

RafalMonka_4-1707901863092.png

but after publishing another message is shown

RafalMonka_3-1707901843066.png

And... modifications in layout are NOT visible in PBI Service. It looks like the replacement has not happened at all.

Question 2. Why modified report has not been published?

(However, when I am publishing pbix file with changed datasource - step 4 - the replacement in PBI Service takes place)

Sorry, if I am doing something wrong.

2 REPLIES 2
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RafalMonka 

So if you use API to change the data source via dsB , then download the report and open it in Desktop , change the content , then republish to Service , nothing changed .But if you change the data source in Data source settings , then repeat the actions above , the changes will be updated after publishing to Power BI Service , right ?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

First issue. When I use API to rebind dataset of the report to dsB and download the report pbix file, then datasource still points to original one - dsA. (despite the fact that "View lineage"  of the report in PBI service shows connection to dsB).

I have resolved it by manually changing datasource in downloaded pbix file and re-publishing it.

Second issue. When you save this downloaded PBI report as PBIP project file (from original PBIX), make some modifications in layout, and re-publish the report, then modifications are not visible on PBI service.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors