Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

TiaanRossouw
Frequent Visitor

Permissions needed to share a dataset

I have created 3 reports. The first (let's call it report A) contains all the queries that I need for all 3 reports. So I decided to publish report A, and then use it's dataset as the source on report B and C. All works perfectly, and I can publish all the reports and refresh and everything.

Issue comes in when sharing the workspace with others. I have added users as Viewers on the workspace (I don't want them to be able to update or delete reports). They can all view Report A, but get an error when viewing the other reports:

Cannot load model

Couldn't load the model schema associated with this report. Make sure you have a connetion to the server, and try again.

If I change permissions from Viewer to Member, everthing works perfectly.

How can I share the dataset without assigning Member permissions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TiaanRossouw
Frequent Visitor

I found the problem. I tried accessing another datasource before using the dataset directly, and Power BI won't "forget" that. The datasets in the reports where the permissions where not working correctly, were defined as DirectQuery, and not "Connected live to the Power BI dataset". I re-created the report and made sure that I only add a single datasource (the connection to the PBI dataset). Works perfectly now.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TiaanRossouw
Frequent Visitor

I found the problem. I tried accessing another datasource before using the dataset directly, and Power BI won't "forget" that. The datasets in the reports where the permissions where not working correctly, were defined as DirectQuery, and not "Connected live to the Power BI dataset". I re-created the report and made sure that I only add a single datasource (the connection to the PBI dataset). Works perfectly now.

v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TiaanRossouw ,

Are your three reports and their source datasets in the same workspace? Based on my testing, if reports A, B, and C created based on dataset A are in the same workspace as dataset A, then the viewer role is able to access all three reports.
If reports B and C are in different workspaces than dataset A, then you need to give the user the viewer role in addition to giving them the build permission of dataset A.

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.
Best Regards,
Winniz
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @TiaanRossouw 

Publish the report into the App of the workspace and add the users as viewers without giving them access to the work space nor the dataset.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors